A D
Alexis Drewicki

5 years ago

Hi there.  I am still in the process of setting up the KH 940 and KH Bulky 270 I recently purchased,  Included with the 940 is the pattern programming device and floppy disk drive plus a ton of disks with patterns included.

I see there is a Designaknit 8 program that, to my totally inexperienced eye, seems to provide a lot of options that appeal to me.  I'd like to be able to design my own graphics, use my photos or paintings, find off the wall images on-line etc as my family consists of teenagers and young women and men that are very edgy in their clothing preferences, some more so than others!  

This may seem a bit far-reaching at this stage of my experience in the knitting world but I've always been very creative with photoshopping and putting my own spin on things.  I will figure out how to work the designs on the discs but a lot of them seem rather dated.  Any comments from users, ideas on where to purchase the software if I decide to do so and any or no computer glitches that others have experienced in the downloading.  Last, but not least, was it worth the cost for you.  Im not a designer, have no intentions of selling product.  I just enjoy being able to create things out of my own imagination.

Case in point

Alexis

S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
From your goals, it sounds like DesignaKnit offers you the functionality that you need.  Yes, it's pricey, yes the software itself is dated, but it functions well and many, many knitters and designers around the world use it.

Here's a link to a LIVE Knit Club DAK vs Garment Designer.  The focus was more on garment design than stitch design, but it may help.
https://www.knititnow.com/LiveEvent/65/dak-vs-garment-designer-10-02-2018

BTW - there is another alternative to creating stitch patterns for the knitting machineCochenille's Stitch Painter

This package is not as complicated as DesignaKnit for stitch patterning and coupled with a bit of hardware can be used with both your 270 and 940.
A D
Alexis Drewicki

5 years ago

Thanks.  I'm going to check them both out.  Right now I'm busy knitting swatches and patterns to get the hang of how my machines work.  I may have put the cart before the horse in purchasing the Designaknit software but I got all excited about being able to use my own photos in design.  I'm not a designer but, one thing I do know, my grandchildren have very specific tastes in clothing.  I have no intention of wasting either my yarn or my time unless I know they'll wear them.

I would like to thank you for the links to the products I need to allow me to use the DAK.  I admit that I was in a bit of a quandary as to how to proceed.  One question before I go.  If you were looking at having to purchase one of these connections anyway, would you go for the magnet that can be used for any machine, electronic or not?

One answer just seems to lead to another sometimes doesn't it!😈😉😎 

S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
The magnet is used for interactive knitting. Theoretically you could use interactive knitting with any machine.  The software is just looking for a signal from the magnet to advance the row and show you when to work your shaping.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  I'm thinking you could use DAK interactive knitting as a charting device. But there would be no stitch patterning involved.

You need an electronic machine and the correct cable to use the stitch patterning.

Make sense?
A D
Alexis Drewicki

5 years ago
Oh my yes!!!  You are like having an encyclopedia of knitting machines at my fingertips!!!  That's my way of saying thank you for this site and all the wealth of experience and knowledge you are willing to share with everyone.  That is a gift from whomever you consider God.  Thank you.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
awwww... thank you!  ðŸ˜š
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC