C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago

So, this is my very last hat, I promise. This is, also, my very best. I used everything learned from this site, and by trial and error. 

623CBBB4-1B18-40AB-AE1B-1516D1D3FC66.jpeg

I was able to do this so the purl was knit for 8 inches, no ravel cord, just straight after the waste yarn. I knit it for the 8 inches, I think 58 rows, Then I knit some more scrap rows. then I removed it from the machine, flipped it, and rehung. The knit side is now facing me, I flipped the hem up and hung it. Then it knit the body, Now I have purl for the brim. I actually prefer that look over the rib or mock rib, but sometimes, I want the texture of the rib.

At row 42 of the body sedtion, I did three EON decreases. Instead of leaving the empty needles out of work, I filled each empty needle by moving the stitches over to fill them. Each time I had half plus 4 of the number of the previous row to do, so it got quicker with each row. I leave two stitches at each end not touched, that is why it is half plus 4 stitches less each time. 

I then gathered the top with a bodkin through the stitches left in the needles. I blanket stitched the seam. The brim was stitched by stitching the front, going around the bottom and up the backside, It can be folded up as pictured, or unfolded, making the hat longer, 

Why is this the best one?

1. I followed the pattern. Items always look wider and shorter on the machine, at least to me. I always adjust the number of rows, but from doing a hat the other day,I realized that that is not the case. I actually did the stitches and rows stated.

2. I have gotten better at figuring things out. I realize this is a basic hat, but there are little things that I did not do right at times.

3. I had trouble figuring out how high the brim had to go for a little girl. I saw a hat on lone and looked at the dimensions. I also looked at one of my store bought and realized the brim does fold up fairly high.

4. I think I just was able to put everything I learned and figured out on my own, and ideas of mine that I tried all together. It just seemed to click.

You will note in my description of what I did, that I did waste yarn for the flipping and not the garter bars. I was going to have to attach 2 bars together. I am not good at using two bars yet, and I did not want to practice with my hat, so I just used waste yarn rows and rehung. Worked out just fine, fairly quickly, actually.

I have to attempt a few scarves, next. 

J G
Joy Green

1 year ago
That's brilliant Cynthia, and it's very easy to think 'that doesn't look as if it's going to be long enough', and then add in a few rows...
Trust your swatch, that's what we all need to do 😊😊
Joy
(as long as one's swatch has been knitted correctly etc of course...)
T B
Tina Brauckmann

1 year ago
Congratulations. A perfect hat. And so much learned for the next projects,  too. Adorable. 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

1 year ago
Thanks. I am getting ready to ship them all off to my granddaughters. My husband has asked for one, and I will make one for myself that will go better with my coat. Not to worry, I won't be posting photos of these. I have posted enough hat photos. I have to sew some cloth napkins right now, anyway. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC