D W
Dawn Wischer

5 years ago
I started hand knitting when I was 12, and used to make each of my girls and husband two hand-knit sweaters a year while I sat on the sidelines of a ball field watching the girls play.  I have become a machine knitter post-retirement, having now acquired 3 Brother and one Studio (my first) knitting machines.

A couple of years ago I knitted a queen sized afghan (two panels joined) on my KH260.  I bordered it by picking up the panel edge stitches and knitted a two color border.  Although no punch card was used, there was a contrast color next to the panel and one of the panel colors on the outside.  Each row automatically knitted color A next to color B with no manual yarn manipulation to join them. I  remember, having both colors in the carriage, and that the colors changed "automatically" at the zero mark.  Unfortunately though, I didn't make a note on the machine settings.   So, on my recent throw, I therefore had to accomplish this in a two step process. Frustrated with myself!  Does anyone know the machine settings?   Thank you!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
HI Dawn!
Welcome to our little group!

What machine are you using?  
I'm imagining a Brother machine where you can manually pre-select needles.  

Let's say you have 20 stitches in work (L10 and R10)
At the beginning of a row, you manually select L1-10
Color 1 and Color 2 in the carriage
Carriage set for Fairisle
Knit across.  The machine doesn' t care how the needles were selected (automatically or manually), just that they are in position to knit color B
Select the needles again and knit back.

Make sense?

Needles need to be selected (positioned) in some way in order to knit 2 colors in a row with one pass of the carriage.
C R
Christine Rasmussen

5 years ago
I'm guessing that the different positions for each color are at position B and C (or whatever the brother letters are?)
D W
Dawn Wischer

5 years ago
Yes, A and B.  Example: needles1-10 left of 0 are to be knitted in color B (blue), needles 1-25 right of 0 are to be knitted in color A (white). Yarn is in the presser feeder respectively - A has white, and B has blue yarn.   Carriage passing right to left, yarn color desired to change automatically at 0 from white to blue.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC