P D
Phyllis K Day

4 years ago
So what's a "renew-bie?" Someone like me who was an active machine knitter decades ago, with multiple machines in all sizes who for reasons involving life changes ended up with no machines for a long time. So now you're not a "newbie" but you are back to machine knitting again, and having acquired at least one machine after years without, you're rediscovering machine knitting and realizing just how much you've forgotten!

That would be me. I now have three machines: a standard with ribber, a mid-gauge (LK150 thus no ribber)  and a bulky with ribber. I'm sort of bumping around trying to figure out what I am doing, and wondered if anyone has  taken the Beginner Bootcamp or Ribber Basics Bootcamp? What did you do to get back up to speed?

Phyllis K Day, the K = Knitting
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Phyllis!
I'll jump in here to echo your question ... what can Knit it Now do to help inspire someone who is returning to MKing after a break?
Our Ribber Knit-along was well received, many experienced knitters discovered (or re-discovered) techniques and got inspired to try more.

Anyone with ideas for Phyllis (that Knit it Now can implement)?
Sue
L B
Lee Beasley

4 years ago
Well, I just never did. I kept my machines and even set them up again after I retired. I’ve knit a few sweaters, but the fact is, I have a trunk full of perfectly good sweaters that are 30 years old, and I just can’t seem to get motivated to knit any more. So I don’t know. I never did like knitting hats, scarves, mittens, or afghans, so that’s out.

I have a room in my basement full of coned yarn, but the thrill just doesn’t seem to be there any more. Plus, those machines seem to have grown over the years. My sewing machines are so much smaller and so much more technically advanced, I guess so far I just haven’t come up with one good reason to get excited about it again. Hope you have better luck!

Lee B.
P W
Pam Williams

4 years ago
Hi Lee Many members at our local club are having the same problem  even though they have knitted all down through the years. So our club is looking to the novelty items such as toys play food and this year we focusing on tea cosies. We are not to sure what we are going to do with them but the challenge is on to see who is the most creative. We are also coming up with new ideas on how to solve the new problems that these items bring with them. It is making for good discuisions 
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
I was a renew-bie a few years ago.  I said I really didn't want to take orders any more, just knit whatever I felt like doing.  I was very fortunate to be able to buy up a lot of yarn quite cheaply and I mainly enjoyed myself knitting for my nieces' 4 children and for charity.  My knitwear was very well received by our local Charity Shop (I think it's called a Thrift Store in the US) but there was no pressure on me to knit anything I didn't want to.  I really missed having an active local machine knitting club to attend, but then I discovered KIN and I've never looked back!

Although I'm an experienced knitter and not really into fiddly little things like hats and socks, I joined the Sampler Blanket and Sock Knit-Alongs because I thought it would be fun to be a little challenged and to be working alongside other people all doing the same thing.  There is so much to explore and to be inspired by on the site that I have to keep dragging myself away to get back to the knitting machines!  I am being reminded of old \\tricks I had forgotten and learning new ways to do things and I just LOVE being part of a community of like-minded but differing people from all across the world.

Jenny
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
OH Jenny!  
I'm so glad that we have been able to inspire your knitting! 

Creating this site has been a labor of love and notes like yours make my day!  Thank you!

Sue

[QUOTE username=Jenny M Benson  Jenny M Benson userid=6733032 postid=1308853785]I was a renew-bie a few years ago.  I said I really didn't want to take orders any more, just knit whatever I felt like doing.  I was very fortunate to be able to buy up a lot of yarn quite cheaply and I mainly enjoyed myself knitting for my nieces' 4 children and for charity.  My knitwear was very well received by our local Charity Shop (I think it's called a Thrift Store in the US) but there was no pressure on me to knit anything I didn't want to.  I really missed having an active local machine knitting club to attend, but then I discovered KIN and I've never looked back!

Although I'm an experienced knitter and not really into fiddly little things like hats and socks, I joined the Sampler Blanket and Sock Knit-Alongs because I thought it would be fun to be a little challenged and to be working alongside other people all doing the same thing.  There is so much to explore and to be inspired by on the site that I have to keep dragging myself away to get back to the knitting machines!  I am being reminded of old \\tricks I had forgotten and learning new ways to do things and I just LOVE being part of a community of like-minded but differing people from all across the world.

Jenny[/QUOTE]
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC