P D
Phyllis K Day

5 years ago
A widower sold me (though a crafty friend via my local craigslist) his deceased wife's knitting machine and many peripherals and accessories. Based on completed eBay listings, I got a very good deal and didn't have to mess with shipping issues.

The widower said his deceased wife never used it and from some clues among the haul, she apparently purchased everything at an auction. It includes a brother KH-260E ("35th Anniversary" version), the KR-260E ribber, the Knit Leader, KRC-900E Color Changer, Intarsia Carriage, Daruma Yarn Twister, black metal stand, a "wool winder" ball winder, a mystery carriage that I will post a photo of soon, all parts and documentation for the machine, ribber et al, and six books, my favorite being The Prolific Knitting Machine by Catherine Cartwright-Jones.

The ribber was never used and is in perfect mint condition with all accessories still in their unboxed state. The main bed has seen some use and also has all accessories and case top, though its original Styrofoam is missing. The bed is free of lint and other impurities, but needs some cleaning along with the case, from sitting around for apparently ten or more years out of its box and only protected by the case cover. (I'm assuming the ribber, being in the box, with bed covers over the needles, had more protection from the elements.) The carriage moves well but surely some cleaning/oiling and sponge bar replacing is in order.

Any cleaning and sponge bar (and anything else you might think of) advice is welcome. Some say just replace the foam (available at any big box hardware store) on the sponge bar, some say get a new one. Thanking you in advance for your comments.

Phyllis K. Day, the K=Knitting
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
whoo hoo!  What a haul!

You are going to have a fun time exploring all those goodies!

I haven't done much restoration of old machines... Everyone has their opinion about sponge bars.  If the sponge is really bad and it's almost impossible to clean the metal bar, my vote is to just order a new one. (They are still available and not that expensive).

I get sponge from http://www.spongebar.com and replace mine.  Never done the who weatherstripping thing.

Enjoy!
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC