S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
live_stitch_push.jpg  Let's explore automatic stitch patterning.  Punchcards, electronics, tuck, lace, slip, fairisle, weaving... so many choices so little time!

Stitch patterning allows us to add texture and color to our knitting.  No more boring, plain 'ol stockinette!  Master stitch patterning!

Whether you have a punchcard, push button, electronic or manual machine, there is a huge wealth of patterning inspiration available to you. Learn to "translate" for your machine.

Join us LIVE (or the replay)
C R
Christine Rasmussen

4 years ago
I am driving myself crazy - I know how to put in a punch card and go, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set my machine to use one color for all the needles in position D, and another color for the needles in position B.  My manual just tells me how to use punch cards, but now how to do free form stitch patterning.  It's a toyota with a dial that has a knit-in setting.  I was able to do this once and now I cannot get it to do anything but whatever it has in memory... any hints?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Christine, what is the model number of your machine?

"Free Form Stitch Patterning" Are you wanting to hand select the needles?
C R
Christine Rasmussen

4 years ago
It's a KS650.

Yes, I'm trying to hand select needles b/c I'm trying to put lettering on a hat.  

thanks!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Any Toyota knitters out there that can help Christine?  
With Brother machines, you can hand select the needles, but Toyota?
C R
Christine Rasmussen

4 years ago
I was just sort of thinking the general theory behind getting your machine to use two colors (when you have a feeder that allows this) - and using one color for the needles in D position, and another for the needles in B position, could be explained.  I have a 'knit-in' function on the dial, and I thought all I had to do was choose that.  Is that how it works for others?  I know there are different labeled buttons - such as MC or whatever, on different machines.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Christine,
I'm sorry you are struggling with this and I'm not being more helpful . I'll try to pull out my Toyota machine next week and see if I can give you some more specific instruction.  From what I'm seeing, the Toyota is more like the Singer/Silver than Brother in the logic

For most machines, there are 4 things that determine stitch patterning.

1. The patterning device.  This is the "generic" setting that tells your machine you want to work in pattern (sort of like turning the key on your car)  For Brother machines, it's the KC button.  For Silver/Singer machines, it's the side levers.  (I suspect that it's the same for your Toyota machine)  Again this device just says "machine, I want to work in pattern"

2. The needle positions.  Machines vary, but in general, the combination of the needle position and the settings determine what happens to the working yarn when you pass the carriage.

3. The pattern instructions. (punchcard, electronics or manual) These control the needle positions in subsequent rows.

4. Cam/carriage setting.  This is what tells the machine what type of pattern you want.  In other words, how the working yarn(s) are handled.  Tuck, Slip, Fairisle etc ... (this is like putting your car in gear ...  you are telling it to go forward or reverse) You mentioned the "Knit-In" setting.  This is the cam/carriage setting.

This video may be of help
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/808/tuck-basics
K P
Karen Peterson

4 years ago
According to the lovely ladies on ravelry this is the same as a SK 155. You could try looking in that models manual for help.
D H
Doris Holley

4 years ago
You should have a dial in the middle of the carriage. When you want to knit in color you just turn the dial to color after you have inserted your two colors in the proper slot. My Toyota is a KS901
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC