P B
Patricia Bauer

5 years ago
I'm a bit behind on the hem challenge and just finished my Squirrel cardigan today.  Since this was my first garment on the knitting machine, there was a fair bit to learn here.  I watched the video on making the gauge swatch and using the whiz-bang ruler that came with the machine. Made my swatch, measured it and input the numbers into the dynamic pattern tool (this is SO cool!) and generated my pattern.  Since the challenge was about hems, I decided to add hems to my cardigan.  It's not exactly rocket science to add 11 extra rows on each end.  I figured I could count that high.  I watched the video on putting in a marker row when I got to the correct row on the fronts.  I used the sewing thread method but find it really hard to see.  Maybe next time I'll try dental floss for the marker line.  The pattern directions were really easy to follow and I know I will be using this tool a lot in the future.  So, anyway, the sweater is finished and is on the blocking board to dry. 

My question is regarding the side seams.  When joining hung hems, do you sew each corresponding half of the hem together so that it is still a hollow tube or do you sew all 4 layers together.  I would be inclined to sew each layer separately.  I did a search for videos, but didn't find anything that covered hems.  Just wanted to tap into the collective wisdom of the group.  Since I'm behind on the challenge, the forum for it has already closed, so I'm hoping that a post as a general topic is appropriate.  Now on to the ribber challenge...

Patricia
(in very wet CA)
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
HI Patricia!
Congrats on your progress!  I'm so proud of you!  Please share a photo or 2!

RE: hems- Great question!  I always seam my hems as a tube. Here's what I do:
  1. Start seaming from the public side of the hem, leaving a fairly long tail
  2. Continue to mattress stitch up the side seam
  3. Go back and finish the inside (private ) side of the hem
This seems to work best for me.

Sue
P B
Patricia Bauer

5 years ago

Thanks for the input!  I would have started on the inside and gone down the inside and back up the public side.  Your way makes more sense and keeps the public side looking nice with any "fudging" on the hem done on the private side.  Yet another "duh!" moment.  I've been having a lot of those lately....

Did my tubular knitting sample today so I'm making progress on the first ribber KAL.

Patricia

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC