C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
Ok. I have had these machines about 2 years. What have I made? A hat. 

I keep filling the forms for a pattern. Arm lengths are not long enough, and I am not measuring beyond the ribbed cuff. Can’t remember the other things that did not match. I do not need the Women’s size (arm kength still is not allowed in the pattern crrating process, anyway). I know they will be too bulky, no matter what. 

I finally had one all set. Decided I would just have to have sleeves that are 2-3 inches too short. I did not want to have to make 3� of hand manupilated ribbing, and that would still be a tad too short. Have not been a fan of the mock ribbing. I was going to use 2� of ribbing. I tried hand knitting ribbing for a sweater, but that ribbing had a bump where I added it to the machine. Now I have to hand manipulate. The sweater was never completed.

No, I do not have a ribber or garter, whatever it is called. O can’t even make anything with my regular machines. I have all three sizes. The smallest is the Brother plastic bed (381, maybe?), can’t remember the number. 

Well decide to create the pattern. Can’t use my bulky. Needs 205 needles, I have 110. I am not experienced enough to work around that, and frankly, right now, not the patience.

I cannot lift these heavy machines. I just packed up my KH881 midsize machine and my husband took it off the table and slid it under the baed and grabbed my bulky. Do I want to bother him to switch it out? I wish they were all plastic bed. I can lift those.

When I tried the Bernat Baby Sport, size 3 light yarn in the kh881, I had the tension all the way up to 8 and I was not sure that was loose enough. I decided that machine was not going to work with it, although I was sure it should. So, the swap for the bulky. Tension 3 is really nice. Not enough needles. I am so exasperated, and disappointed.

There. I am done venting. All set. I will just have to ask my husband to get out my kh881(?) midsize tomorrow and start again. Make another swatch. But the arm length will give me issues. I think I have to figure out how many rows I need to add, based on my gauge and pop them in, before any increasing starts. That should work, right? 

Thank you all for your ears (eyes).

So greatful for the pattern making tools on this site, but I really have not had enough experience with them yet to not get frustrated. Thank you for this wonderful site!  Will definitely be renewing, again.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
Okay, I have it figured out. I figured my stitches per inch wrong. It was exactly 4� from one stitcher marker to the one on the other side. I used 20 needles each side of zero, 40 stitches. But, only 10 each side were used as the stitches counted. The other 10 needles beyond the 10 on each side were extra stitches that I use to code the tension I am using. So, I was saying 40 stitches per inch, which sounded odd to me. Really odd, but I looked and measures again, it was 4� exact between the markers, every time I checked, it was 4 markers. I figured knowing the needles was a more accurate stitch count because I have trouble counting the stitches on a stitched item, I know how many needles I used. Yep, I knew, 20 each side of zero, but Imforgot only 10 are counted for the stitch count. There are needles to spare on the machine bed.

I was going to delete this so nobody would see what a goofus I was beinh, but, I wanted to point this out. We went out to dinner. Then I came back to it and looked at the bed. It just did not look right. There are 110 needles in thay bed and it was way wider than the from or back of the sweater. Something was amiss. I started all over again and got it right. 

So, get up, take a break and think it through while looking at the bed. I was right that knowing the number of needles, for me, is more accurate than a stitch count when the 4â€? was exactly between my markers, but, remember how many of the 20 each side of zero are used for the gauge and how many are extra on the side. 

Thanks for the think tank!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
Hey Cynthia!
So glad you had a "lightbulb" moment!

I hope you decide on one machine and stick with it ... Once you find a yarn you like, stick with that for a while as well.  So many of us get ourselves confused and discouraged by adding too many variables to the mix.

Promise me ... one machine ... one yarn.  Once you get more comfortable, that combination will give you hours of enjoyment (not frustration).  And some finished projects.

I don't know why you have "bumps" when you re-hang your hand knit ribbing ... twisted stitches??? 

Continue to take baby steps and let us know how we can help ...  you aren't alone!  We've all been there!  ðŸ˜„
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
Will be sticking with my bulky for a while. It works with the yarn I am using and that yarn is widely available here, and not very expensive. The bigger needles are easier to deal with right now. I am saving my better yarn for later. Knit loosely on the bulky with a 3 tension, it will work for late Winter to early Summer top. I am making the Cosmos, at least trying ... again. Will start tomorrow. Printed the pattern this evening. Did it with tension at 3 and another calculated with tension 4. T4 is a little too loosey goosey, but might do it sometime.

I might have stitches that are too tight. I was thinking of doing the rib section on needles at the end and picking up the stitches on knitting needles. Reverse of the other. I probably turn the stitches because I really don’t know how to transfer the stitches to the machine. I probably don’t do them all the same way, either.

Thanks.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago

Hey Cynthia!
The absolute KEY to your success is your gauge

Since you've been struggling .. why don't you take some photos of your swatch with rulers?  Tell us your gauge.

I'm concerned because in an earlier post you mentioned counting stitches ... you shouldn't be counting stitches! You should be measuring between a set number of stitches and rows and doing your calculation from there.
In the image below I know exactly how many stitches are BETWEEN the markers and how many rows BETWEEN the marked rows.  I measure that distance, do the math and get my gauge ... no counting stitches allowed!  ðŸ˜

dragon_shawl_swatch_600.png 

This doesn't represent the photo, but is an example of how to measure gauge.
swatch_drawing.jpg 

C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
56F02523-2A29-449A-9F3F-2B2AEFDF0F7C.jpeg 
There are 20 stitches in a 4 inch width. Nice how it came out that way. There are 6.25 inches per 40 rows. The pattern maker asks for how many stitches and rows make 4 inches. Obviously, 20 stitches makes 4 imches. 

For the rows, 40 divided by 6.25 = 6.4 rows per inch x 4 = 25.6 rows per 4 inches.

Correct? 

The swatch was not stretched when taped at the edges to stop the curl. I gently unrolled and taped. It really didn’t curl in as far as my markers, but I wanted them to be as flat as possible for the photo.
Thanks.
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

5 years ago
Cynthia:  I am quite an experienced MK'er.  If you think it could be of value to you, you can call me anytime (day or night or middle-of-night) at 253-952-3538.  If I am sleeping, my ringer is off.  Just leave a VM and perhaps I could be of some assistance to you as you navigate thru your learning curve.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
[QUOTE username=SANDEE GIMBLETT  SANDEE GIMBLETT userid=6382543 postid=1307843927]Cynthia:  I am quite an experienced MK'er.  If you think it could be of value to you, you can call me anytime (day or night or middle-of-night) at 253-952-3538.  If I am sleeping, my ringer is off.  Just leave a VM and perhaps I could be of some assistance to you as you navigate thru your learning curve.[/QUOTE]

Thank, you Sandee. That is so nice of you. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC