C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
When a pattern instruction says to “knit even to row 157� Do you stop with the Carriage on the right after knitting row 156? Some people confuse “to� with “through�. “To� would mean stop at row 156. Through would be to knit row 157 amd then stop (you have knit through row 157).

Just wanted to check. If it is on the site somewhere, I apologize. I really did spend the last half hour looking. Tried search, and just browsing different sections of the site.

Thanks.
Cynthia
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
It's your call .. it's only 1 row!  

What's more important is the position of the working yarn.  If you need to bind off on the left, the carriage (and the working yarn) need to be on the left.

You're the boss ... you spent 30 minutes worrying about 1 row?  Cynthia, relax and get knitting!  ðŸ˜
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
Oh, if you only knew. The jams I get myself into. It is actually looking like it will be too wide, but I am finishing it just to get one done. It does narrow after the stitches are set when done, anyway, so might be good.

Thanks             
P L
Phyllis Lambert

5 years ago
Cynthia -
Thanks SO MUCH for asking that question.
I've always felt "instructionally challenged" because I'm not sure whether to knit "to" or "through." 
I basically gave up trying to figure it out - instead, I go to the schematic and write the number of actual rows I need to knit for each section/procedure.
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

5 years ago
"Knit even to R157" means that if you STARTED with RC 0 on the LEFT side of the bed, then you would knit until the RC was at 157, meaning you would STOP on the RIGHT side of the bed.  You would have knitted an actual 157 rows.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago

Ok, I am done trying to insert a photo of the instructions I am using for an example towards the end of this post. The photo will be in the post below this, so please refer to the post that will be after this post. Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

I appreciate the comments, but I still would like to know. The end of the bed that the carriage is really makes no difference as far as knowing what row the instructions are actually referring to. It may be just one row, but for me, to learn this, I need to know exactly what the instructions mean. 

I know the short rowing would not have been as difficult if I knew this. I sat there a long time trying to figure this out. The rest of the sweater back, it did not matter because I am doing a simple non-shaped sweater right now. It is just a rectangle until I get to back neck and shoulder. At that point it mattered. By not knowing, I have to remember for the rest of the item, how I interpreted the instructions and do the same. This question was in my mind for the entire back, but since until the neck and shoulder area it was a rectangle, I didn’t concern myself about it.

That is the way my mind works. I need to understand completely. After that, I can take off and interpret. The post after this has a photo of the insreuctions I am talking about starting at this point.

PLEASE REFER TO THE PHOTO IN THE POST BELOW TO THIS POST FROM HERE ON. Thank you.

Under “Cast On�, it shows RC: 0. That tells me that RC is displaying 0. No rows have been knitted. The RC is displaying the last row number you knitted, not the next row to knit.

After casting on, it says to knit over 104 stitches “toâ€? row 84. The column before that text shows the RC at 0 because no rows have been knitted. Therefore, the row counter column is representing the number of rows that have already been knit. 

The row below the first instruction shows:

RC of 84 and then says to Knit even over 104 stitches to row 90.

This is confusing. We are to knit to row 84. “Knit to� means you knit 83 rows and stop at row 84 because you are to knit “to� row 84, not “through� row 84.

That said, the next row of the instructions, under the RC column is showing 84. It was already established that the RC is displaying the row that has last been knit, not the next row number to knit. 

Based on the definition of knitting “to� row 84, vs knitting “through� row 84, the RC column should be showing row 83. It is like that throughout the patten.

What I need to know is, do I have to substitute the word “to� with “through� with these instructions so the RC column is accurate, or should I read the RC as one digit lower and not what the counter actually shows?

I know this is just one row, but for me, I have always been very literal and I also follow instructions to a “T� when I am trying to learn something, so I really need to know this so I am not questioning myself. I hope this all makes sense to you.

C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
ThIs is the set of instructions referred to in the above post.

3C60DE22-A412-4203-AAF8-38B2D43B6084.jpeg
A A
Anne Auld

5 years ago
Substitute "through" consistently and you should have no problem. Another way to put it might be "Knit until row counter (RC) shows 90 (or another number) rows knitted."  Or "Knit to row count (RC) 90." The idea is to knit 90 rows before proceeding to the next step. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC