M W
Margaret Walker

4 years ago
I have been following the knit-along on the ribber. At one point Sue referred to th learning topics - easiest ever ribber cast on. I decided to give this a try for a project I'm working on which has a 3 by  rib. My problem ccame when trying to insert the cast on comb. I just could not  see how to insert it. Any help welcome.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Margaret,

The easiest thing to do is to hang your cast on comb in single bed knitting, then raise your ribber, arrange your needles and chain cast on over any needle arrangement

That way the comb is already in place and you don't have to mess with it.

It's at the 3:26 mark of the "Easiest Best Ribber Cast on Video

Here's another example

Ribber Cast On Comb for Single Bed Knitting tutorial for Machine Knitting

B A
Becky Atwood

4 years ago
I tried the Easiest Best Ribber Cast on yesterday and for some reason had trouble. I have a Brother KH-230 and KR-230. As shown on the video, I cast on with waste yarn on the main bed only and hung the ribber comb there. I made an e-wrap cast on over the waste yarn on the main bed with working yarn, knit one row on the main bed then transferred alternate stitches to the ribber. I proceeded with 1X1 ribbing using sport weight wool and both beds on tension 6. I tried several configurations of barrel weights hung on the ribber comb and also the 7-weight hangers. No matter how much or little weight I used, stitches on both ends and many in the middle of the main bed would miss - in other words after passing the joined carriage, the yarn from this row and the stitch from the previous row would both be in the hook. The ribber bed stitches were OK. Is this because the weight is all on one bed? Is this problem individual to the Brother Bulky?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Becky!1
I'm sorry you are having a problem ... 

Can you cast on with other methods?  Have you knit ribbing with that machine?

I'm wondering if the ribber needs to be adjusted. 
You mentioned using sport weight yarn.  Would a heavier yarn make a difference?

The issue is on the main bed only?  What position are the needles?  Is the main bed set to plain knitting?

Sue
B A
Becky Atwood

4 years ago
Yes, I can cast on with the ribber and main bed using other methods but the edge is too loose. Ribbing works fine on the machine with sport weight and worsted etc. I did everything exactly as you described in the video and as I describe above. It is just this easiest ever cast on that is a problem, for some reason. Oh well.  I can try something else.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC