S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

5 years ago
What can I use for 9mm bulky/chunky ravel cord?  I currently use my standard bed, 4.5mm, cord, but it can sometimes be hard to rehang stitches with such a thin cord on the bulky needles.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
[QUOTE username=SANDEE GIMBLETT  SANDEE GIMBLETT userid=6382543 postid=1307843788]What can I use for 9mm bulky/chunky ravel cord?  I currently use my standard bed, 4.5mm, cord, but it can sometimes be hard to rehang stitches with such a thin cord on the bulky needles.[/QUOTE]

Look for a thicker nylon cord ... I've heard of knitters using a "mason's cord" from the hardware store - 

Another idea is to search for "Omega Nylon"  La Espiga
https://creativeyarnsource.com

I've  used the Omega nylon (not sure of which size)  - it's extra strong and slippery
masons_cord.jpg 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
I just purchased some mason cord today. It looks like the right thickness for a bulky. I have the back of my sweater done and I am not sure about the ravek cord I used. I have it folded very careful to make sure no end of the ravel cord can be pulled. I might use a big eyed needle and thread my new mason ravel cord through it. I have not been able to start the front yet because I did not have the proper ravel cord for my bulky. Hoping this will work.

Thanks for that question and the answers. Great help.
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

5 years ago
I found bulky ravel cord online in 6 different colors, so looks like I won't have to look for the mason's cord for now.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

5 years ago
I bought the mason cord. I kind of like it because I can cut it to the length I need. I have actual ravel cord that I used on my bulky for my sweater back and it was shorter than I was comfortable with. I could not leave much of a tail dangling as I would like. It actually was short by 12 needles the first time used it on my sweater back and I had to remove a row of waste yarn, faster than fixing the dropped stitches, and leave only about 3� of a tail so I could make it to the other end. It just made it with about 2 inches at that end. Held my breath at the end.

That is a little tight for comfort for me. I loosely knotted each end to the waste yarn just so it wouldn’t accidentally be pulled out, also cafefully folded the back so the ends would not snag on anything. It was probably thinner ravel cord than should be used with bulky, so it was loose. Loosely knotting seemd to be a good idea. I used the mason cord on the sweater front. Worked great.

When I remove that ravel cord, I will bag it and label it for use on the bulky with 104 needles. I know it is long enough for that.

It didn’t cost much, maybe $2 for a big spool.
L D
Linda Dawson

5 years ago
Try rat tail cord  , rayon I think, comes in two sizes and the larger works for bulky. I also use it for a pendant cord, It feels nice around your neck. Joanns fabric has it. 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC