A D
Alexis Drewicki

5 years ago

Hi there.  Extremely happy to have found this site.  I was about 12 when my father bought a Knitking manual machine and taught himself how to knit with it.  That was about 60 years ago.  He had just taken a barbering course and found idle hours created boredom!  He taught me how to use it and, sporadically throughout my adult years, I have dabbled with knitting by machine.

I have very recently purchased a KH 940 Brothers machine and am in the process of figuring it all out.  This site plus you-tube are a Godsend!  In all the years of dabbling in the art, like my father before me, i am entirely self-taught.  Its lovely to have such instant access to visual and audio assistance and sites such as Knit It Now.  Those of you in the younger generation are extremely fortunate🙂

I have tubs of yarn (as do many of you I'm sure) but I've determined in the past few days, that I require a chunky machine in addition to the KH 940 plus more suitable yarn, or I'm going to wreck it.  I'd certainly appreciate any advice on what would be an affordable , functional option to consider.

I live in Northern Canada.  The weather is pretty cold for a fair portion of the year so heavier sweaters, toques, scarves and even coats are conceivable options in the garments I'd like to be able to produce.

Now its time to check out some more information here and everywhere possible.

Many thanks to you all. 

Lucky (Alexis) Drewicki

S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
Hi Alexis!
Thanks for taking time to share your story with our little group!

You are a officially a true machine knitter .. thinking about a second machine.  They do tend to multiply like rabbits!  ðŸ˜„

Unless you are working with really thick yarn (like hand spun) you might consider a mid-gauge machine.  I've found that they take a nice wide range of yarns.
If you don't want all the bells and whistles, the LK-150 is a good, affordable way to go ( The Brother KX-350 is similar and you can find these used).

If you do want automatic patterning and a bulky/chunky machine, may I suggest investing in another Brother machine?  I find that mixing the brands can get confusing. The whole goal of this craft is to have fun .. why struggle to "translate" between machines?

Just my 2 cents....
Sue
A D
Alexis Drewicki

5 years ago

Thanks Sue  .That's why I'm here - for your 2 cents worth.  Enough of them and I'll be rich😉

Every machine I've owned has been a Brother.  I agree totally that I don't want to get myself in the position of having a whole new learning curve to adapt to.  The lady I bought this machine from was a distributor and taught classes for at least 40 years.  She's in her mid 80's now and knows many people in the same situation so she's putting out feelers for me.

I've decided on a chunky that accepts punchcards - probably a KH 260 since that's what I had before.  I'm not going to bother with the ribber.  Hopefully the 260 will do the trick as my stash of super bulky # 6 yarns is fairly extensive. 

Joyce is going to come for a weekend and teach me how to use the attachments I bought from her.  Good deal for both of us.  She gets out of the home to sit in the mountains with me for a couple of days and I get one on one instruction!

I don't need any more rabbits thank you.  I'm supposed to be downsizing!!!

Thanks for your input.  It's appreciated.

Lucky

I'm going to love this site😍

E L
Eleanor Leap

5 years ago
I was a Brother dealer for about 20 years.  Loved my machines.  Always felt Brother was the best and easiest to learn.  The KH940 was my favorite although since I was a dealer felt I had to keep up with each new model for my customers.  With the KH940 I felt a ribber was a must.  I still have a bulky KH260 punchcard machine.  I do have a ribber and enjoy it.  However if one does know how to handknit, ribbing can always be added by hand while you watch your favorite TV show.  This works very well.  KH260 works well with 4ply worsted weight yarn, bulky weight yarn and mohair yarn.  I am 81 and retired 20 years ago.  Now I quilt as well as knit.  Life is good.  Michigan USA  I enjoy the Knit it Now website and tutorials.  Learning something new or remembering something I had forgotten each time.  Eleanor Leap
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
HI Eleanor!
Thanks for taking time to write and for sharing your story!  Welcome to our little group!

[QUOTE username=Eleanor Leap  Eleanor Leap userid=6624579 postid=1307972937] Learning something new or remembering something I had forgotten each time. [/QUOTE]  Isn't it amazing that no matter how long we've been knitting there are still things to learn (or remember)? ðŸ˜„
A D
Alexis Drewicki

5 years ago
I sincerely hope that I’m still busy and learning new things for as long as I’m still breathing!🎉🎉

In the last several months I’ve learned to fix my antique clock, crocheted up a storm and learned to use the knitting looms.  They’re just a little too slow for my taste I’m afraid..or I’m too slow more like!

Thanks to Joyce Brunner, whom you may know, I’ve  been fortunate enough to find a Brother electronic bulky KH270 with a motor for an awesome price.  Between knitting, painting and practicing Angelic Reiki, I should have no difficulty keeping busy for years to come!😎

i retired from nursing just under 10 years ago and have seldom, if ever, had a boring moment!

thank you ladies.  Have a great day!🌹💖
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC