T D
Tanya Dixon

4 years ago
I was lucky to have been gifted a Brother KH910 last year (with a ribber and knit leader!). I'd heard about machine knitting so was very excited to have the opportunity to have one! The machine had been cleaned and repaired several years ago, not used and then garage kept. I knew I had to learn how to get it working again and hit the internet! I found "The Answer Lady Knits" and started watching Jack's how to fix videos. Wow!

I then found the Textile Arts Center in Brooklyn, NY and have taken two weekend workshops where I learned the basics and how to use the buttons and a punch card. I was very overwhelmed with the learning curve even though I had read the curve was long! I kept watching videos but didn't touch my machine.

I recently took another set of machine knitting classes at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) in NY where I learned how to make a basic sweater and did a LOT of repetitive mistake corrections (a VERY good thing). Completing this class gave the confidence to get my machine working and following 'Ask Jack's' instructions I was able to take the machine apart, clean it out, and get my carriage all cleaned up and working!

As of now I've made a first 'scarf' using a free pattern on Ravelry (that required hand manipulation on every row!). I had to take it all out and start over once and then learned how to 'knit myself out of trouble'. :-)
(see pics) IMG-1009.jpg  IMG-1032.jpg  IMG-1033.jpg 

The day before yesterday I figured out how to do plating.

My next goal is to find out if the electronics of the machine work with a mylar punch card design. If the electronics work i'm going to use them to investigate the different fabric creation techniques. If they don't work I'm going to build an AYAB card so I can use patterns created on my computer to create designs.

I would ultimately like to involve girls in STEM by teaching them to write to code to create simple graphics that can be then knitted into their own custom fabric!

I joined Knit it Now because it has so much great information in one place (vs searching and saving on the web, instagram and facebook).

I'm happy to be here!

Tanya
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Tanya!
Welcome to our little group!   

Your scarf is beautiful!  Hand manipulation on every row ???  Wow!  you are dedicated!

So glad to hear that things are going well for you ... please keep sharing your successes ... it gives the rest of us encouragement to keep trying when we want to throw in the towel.  ðŸ˜„
Sue
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC