C M
Cindy Minota

5 years ago
 I am having a mental block!  I knit my swatch to a fabric I liked and took my measurements.
Then I knit a duplicate swatch and tossed it in with the washer/dryer and remeasured it.
Now my problem is using this information! 
It is linen yarn and it shrank more in length than width.
Do I knit a larger size than I usually would to allow for that shrinkage?
If I knit according to the washed swatch-my knitted item would shrink
and it wouldn't match that gauge anymore!
See what I mean!  I don't know why I am struggling with this!
I went ahead and knit using the washed gauge but am knitting this summer top (Gizeh Top)
in a larger size to match the shrinkage percentage!
I froze over this information for days!!!!!
Any advice you can add would help!  Thanks, Sue!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
Cindy, bottom line ... use the gauge you measured from your washed and blocked swatch.  The shrinkage has already taken place .... correct?  You shouldn't have to make any further adjustments.

You started  knitting the Gizeh top, but did your washed and blocked gauge match the pattern gauge?
Did you convert the pattern gauge to your gauge?

Now I'm confused!   ðŸ˜„

C M
Cindy Minota

5 years ago
I'm just using the pattern schematic for a general shape for the Knit Radar--I'm not using anything else from the pattern.
On the one hand what I say to myself is-if I knit the 38 bust measurements with the unwashed gauge, then it will shrink to the 36 I need.
BUT if I knit with the washed gauge to my size 36-the top WILL shrink and no longer be the right size!  I mean, how could it?!  
Round and round I go....
I'm going to knit something else right now until I can think straight on this.  I don't know what my problem is...
S J
Sue Jalowiec

5 years ago
You are over-thinking this! ðŸ˜‰

1. use the washed gauge for the Knit Radar
2. Draw the desired finished pattern size

When the knitting comes off the machine, it will be too large, but when it's washed it will be the right size.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC