S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Fellow Knitter, Surma has a challenge for us.

She wants to put stripes in the body and sleeves of a man's sweater.

For a set in sleeve, this is pretty straightforward. She can calculate the start of the stripes based on the start of the armhole shaping.  Like this:

stripes1.png 

BUT ... what about drop shoulder, square or full fashioned sleeves.

My initial thought was to measure down ... like this:

Measure DOWN from the neck opening and start the stripes at the same point

This wouldn't be perfect .. it would depend if the wearer had narrow or wide shoulders but it would be close.

Thoughts????
stripes1.jpg 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Surma's husband has volunteered to model ... 

stripes99.png 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
hmmmm... mis-matched stripes didn't seem to bother this ready-to-wear designer
stripes98.jpg 
B P
Barbara Palmer

3 years ago
Also, I've thought about a raglan with matching stripes from the armhole up.  Might this mimic a round yoke sweater, if the stripes could match?
tia, barb
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Yes!  
M W
Margaret Wojak

3 years ago
Nothing Done ,I have the Flu!😤😤😡
j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
 I have started some stripes 10 rows from the start of the decrease for the armhole on the back and front. So if I start the stripes on the sleeve 10 rows before shaping...will that work?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Yes this should work for set in sleeves.
stripes1.png
G B
Graeme Bowers

3 years ago
I recently figured out another way to determine stripes for sleeves on drop shoulder sweaters...maybe more accurate?

After knitting the front and back and connecting the shoulders, I cut a piece of cheap knit fabric the same size as my sleeve (based on measurements in the pattern) and pinned it to where it would be on the sweater and pinned the side seam.  When I tried the half completed garment on it was easy to mark where the stripes ought to be.  Then just had to measure and figure out using gauge where on the sleeve to start.

Hope this helps, at least it's another method to try.  I used this technique for the pink sparkly sweater I shared, it worked quite well I think!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Thanks @Graeme Bowers  Good tip!
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC