K R
Kathy Rushing

4 years ago
I live in Southern Illinois and am definitely a newbie.  I have been knitting for years but I'm very slow.  I'm also do handspinning, weaving, felting, and crochet.  My husband and I raised alpacas for several years because I wanted to have ready access to fiber for my spinning.  In addition, we started growing cotton so that I could spin that as well.  Do you see a pattern here?  😁 

I retired last summer from teaching high school art and now get to spend lots of time doing my fiber projects.  I got my first flatbed knitting machine last November - a Brother KH270 Bulky.  Next came the ribber for that machine and most recently a Brother KH930.  

I have been trying to make socks on both my machines.  The machine knit part of the socks are getting better but the toes and kitchner stitches aren't great.  However, I can knit a pair of socks in a few hours now instead of a year!

I'm looking forward to learning more about my machines and improving my machine knitting skills.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Kathy! Welcome!
We all understand where you are coming from ... lucky you to be able to both spin and knit!
A good way to practice Kitchener Stitch and grafting is to knit 2 swatches on your bulky. 
  • Use a light color smooth yarn
  • Cast on with waste yarn and ravel cord
  • Knit a few inches
  • Scrap off
  • Make 2 (at least)
  • Give the swatches a good shot of steam to set the stitches
  • The big gauge will help you visualize Kitchener on the smaller stitches for your socks.
You might also consider grafting on the machine ... rehang the stitches on the machine and do the sewing at the machine
From the purl side
From the Knit side

Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work!

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC