L G
Laura Goodrich

4 years ago
Hi Sue & forum!
   I finally tried my G-carriage.  It is wonderful.  But. I have a couple questions about stitch patterns.  

1). Is there a special collection of stitch patterns that can be used with it on the Knit It Now site?  I didn’t see one.
2). In Stitch World, there is a collection of stitches for the garter carriage (532 and up) but there is also a section of stitches for the automatic knitting carriage (467-511).  What is the difference?  They appear to have a mix of knit and purl stitches in both sections.

Thanks!
Laura
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Laura!

So glad to hear that you've had success with your G-Carriage!

1. We don't have any "turtle" patterns on the site (I've never made friends with my g-carriage Ã°Å¸ËœÂ)

2. Not sure which Stitch World you are using ... but there really aren't any "rules" about the g-carriage patterns ... in theory you could use tuck or slip patterns - The g-carriage only cares about black and white squares - for knit and purl stitches.

[QUOTE username=Laura Goodrich  Laura Goodrich userid=6407060 postid=1308891169]Hi Sue & forum!
   I finally tried my G-carriage.  It is wonderful.  But. I have a couple questions about stitch patterns.  

1). Is there a special collection of stitch patterns that can be used with it on the Knit It Now site?  I didn’t see one.
2). In Stitch World, there is a collection of stitches for the garter carriage (532 and up) but there is also a section of stitches for the automatic knitting carriage (467-511).  What is the difference?  They appear to have a mix of knit and purl stitches in both sections.

Thanks!
Laura[/QUOTE]
S W
Sheila West

4 years ago
A simple way of telling whether a stitch pattern would make an interesting garter carriage pattern is to look at the graphs in the back of the Stitch World Books.  If the graph looks interesting then it is worth trying.  Generally all fairisle patterns work but some tuck and slip stitch ones work too.
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
I've wondered, too, what the difference is between the patterns for "automatic knitting carriage" and those for "garter carriage."  I wondered whether the very first garter carriages were called "automatic knitting carriage" and those patterns were created for it, then later they developed the G-carriage as we know it and developed more patterns.

Jenny
L G
Laura Goodrich

4 years ago
Thanks for the replies!  Jenny, I suspect you might be right.
S S
Sharon Shattan

4 years ago
Garter Carriages can do almost anything and any pattern.  They are great for baby blankets , etc.  Almost black and white design can be used with them.  I even have a G-carriage that does different colors on the same row.  Knit squares are color A and the purl squares are color B.  I don't know if that machine is still available though.  
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC