K W
Kathy Walker

4 years ago
What does everyone use for tables? I'm confused about what type to use and need a low cost alternative. I'm thinking of a table from home depot or walmart , but not sure if they would be sturdy enough.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Kathy,

2 requirements:

1. It must be sturdy - it needs to be able to take a lot of back and forth motion
2. Room for the clamps 

I love these tables  - Super heavy duty and adjustable. (but they aren't low cost)

Someone recently recommended a table from Ikea ....

I've also used a simple folding table like this.  Be sure the clamps will fit.  NOTE this didn't work well for my bulky with a ribber - it tended to tip.
Flash Furniture 30'' x 60'' Rectangular Wood Folding Banquet Table, Black/Natural
A W
Ann-Blair White

4 years ago
I've used the same table - both the type that is purchased all made up and have also purchased the heavy metal legs like these and attached them to a sheet of plywood which I covered with vinyl flooring
C Q
Cynthia Quill

4 years ago
I was using a similar table. Mine, I believe is heavier than the above photo and the legs are farther to the edges. Mine was probably built earlier than the above. I think they were made of heavier bulkier material in the earlier years. I know I bought mine back in the 1980’s. Mine was a conference formica topped 5’-6’ rectangle banquet table. I think it was bought at one of our local business/office stores. It is extremely heavy. It has a lip, but the lip is not deep enough for a good grip. The clamo disc does not fit entirely under the lip. Also, the metal bar running the length that makes that lip narrow was too high and in too far for the clamp to go over it and then clamp down. 

I mentioned the above so that you check the lip to make sure it is wide enough for the clamp to be pushed all the way into you machine slots and the disc will go completely under the the table top, preferably with a little extra space. If it does not, the clamps lose their grip eventually and the machine will slide.

It is a nice size, but for me, not practical. It had to remain up all the time. Therefore, it was constantly in the back end of my kitchen because it was too heavy for me to fold up and move.

PLUSES FOR THIS TABLE:
It is very long. Allows for a long bed.
It is very deep. Allows for tools and instructions to be in the table.
It does not move.

NEGATIVES FOR THIS TABLE
Lip is not deep enough to hold clamps securely.
It is too heavy for me to be able to put away.
It is actually too large to actually store anywhere when not in use. I do not have a dedicated machine knitting room.

So keep in mind, you not only need a lip, it needs to be a lip that allows the machine to fit securely. My Brothers have a disc in the end of the clamp that goes under the table. Keep that in mind. You need kore than the diameter of that disc. The clamp gets pushed into the machine slots as far as they will go, that distance, plus that diameter of the disc on the clamp that gets pushed to the underside of the table, plus and little extra, is the depth of the lip you need, 

That said, for a little plastic Swiss Knitter (First machine. It was given to me.), I was using my extensin bar in the kitchen, just to have a place to figure it out. The lip edge was not quite right. The counter top came over the edge and little more than the actual thickness of the countertop. The front edge curved down lower. The clamp opening was not long enough to be able to fit over that curved  front edge lip, about 3/4â€? wide, so I could actually clamp it to the underside of the countertop. My husband put a piece on the underside of the counter top where the clamps go. This made that spot and even thickness with the front curved part. The clamps were then able to clamp securely. So, you might be able to fix a table to work if you find one. But, it needs to be a secure fix because of all the back and forth of the carriage.

I hope I can find a better table when I can get back i to this. I had to put everything away a few weeks ago. We redid the kitchen/ding room. I really don’t want it permanently set up in my beautiful kitchen any longer. Will be looking into a better option when I finish my memory quilts and can get back into it.

Just my experience.
J M
Joanne M

4 years ago
I use a table from Office Depot.  It's very sturdy. The legs are made of heavy gauge steel and the top is 3/4 inch thick fiberboard so it is substantial and heavy.  The top is just right for machine clamps and the table doesn't move at all when I push the carriage.  I put two machines on one table (one machine on each side, each with the ribber attached) and have no problems with wobbling.  The best thing about this table is that it is height adjustable so you can adjust it to the height that works the best for knitting or for working a special technique.  They're a bit pricey but they frequently go on sale, usually for 100$ off.  In fact they're on sale now.

Realspace® Magellan Pneumatic Sit-Stand Hight-Adjustable Desk, Espresso Item # 787781

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC