S W
Stephanie Wagaman

4 years ago
Here is a pic of my sideways knit sweater. For the trim I used a pattern from an old Knittens pattern, where you run pieces of yarn over and under the needles to form a braid. I never attached a band before. On the sleeves I was fine to attach cuff band to sleeve by rehanging  on the machine. But that was not going to be an option for the band along front. I tried different methods, and eventually hand sewed it to sweater.
DSCN0341.jpg 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Beautiful!  LOVE the trim. Could you take a closeup of the "braid"?
M S
Marja Slui

4 years ago
Hi Stephanie, congrats on this beautiful project! Would love to see your braid with a close up photo (pretty please :-) )
Look up the pattern ' bonnie's one piece cocoon' section bands. I think you will be pleased that you can attach your band to your garment whilst knitting the band. 
Kind regards Marja
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
[QUOTE username=Marja Slui  M. Slui userid=6407814 postid=1309289423]
Look up the pattern ' bonnie's one piece cocoon' section bands. I think you will be pleased that you can attach your band to your garment whilst knitting the band. 
Kind regards Marja[/QUOTE]
Great tip!  Here are the instructions from the pattern.
Finish the neck, front opening and hem
You will knit a long narrow band, joining it to the garment by picking up the edge stitch of the garment as you knit the band.
    1. Cast on with waste yarn and ravel cord
    2. With garment yarn,

• Carriage on the left, knit 1 row.

• *With the inside of the garment facing you, starting at the center back neck, hang the edge loop (pick up both sides of the loop) on the right hand needle of the band (do not increase a stitch).

• Knit 2 rows.

• Skip 2 garment rows.*
        • Repeat from * to *.

• Continue until band is knit onto the entire garment

• Scrap off the band.
    3. TIP: to make finishing the band easier, place a marker on both edges of the band every 50 rows.
    4. Use Kitchener stitch to join the ends together.
    5. Matching the markers, whip down the other edge of the band to the inside edge of the garment.
    6. Work in all ends, block and enjoy!
C P
Cynthia Price

4 years ago
great work.  it is beautiful.
S W
Stephanie Wagaman

4 years ago
Sorry, I have not been on the forum for awhile. I am including a close-up of the trim. The "braid" was accomplished by wrapping pieces of yarn over and under needles - white yarn starts out over first needle, under second, etc. Then maroon yarn is wrapped under first needle, over second, etc., and then white is repeated.

I made my sideways sweater to be more of a sweater coat; hence, the trim was made in 3 pieces and seamed together, before sewn onto sweater. It was a total of 460 stitches (but who's counting), and I didn't want to do that amount of picking up stitches on machine.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC