d p
delia pena

4 years ago
what design can you do on ribber? you don't have many design.The different stitches. Can you used the punch card .If you can used punch card are they special card. please explain.
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

4 years ago
Hi, Delia,

I've been making ribber scarves lately to give my hands a rest from hand-seaming garments.  I just ordered a Hague linker to save on my hands.  I've been using tuck lace patterns meant for the single bed, but instead of putting the needles in out-of-work position on the main bed, I've been pulling those same needles out on the ribber instead.  I start and end each scarf with 12 rows of 1x1 ribbing and knit around 650 rows of the double-bed pattern.  I've been using 2/15 yarns on a standard bed  to enhance the lacy effect.  I got these ideas from a Diana Sullivan ribber scarf book.  The only finishing work once the scarf is off the bed is to weave-in the beginning and ending tails.  Since the ribber design keeps the edges from curling, no steaming or edging work needs to be done.  The two scarves I've made so far have weighed less than 2.5 ounces, so it's a good way to use up small cones of left-over yarn.  You could do this on any size bed, i.e. standard, mid-gauge, or bulky/chunky.
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
Patterning with the ribber is quite a big subject, Delia.

You cannot use a punchcard to affect what happens with the ribber needles - the punchcard only operates on the main bed - but you can use buttons or levers on the ribber carriage to cause the ribber needles to tuck or slip.  A popular use of the ribber is to create Double Jacquard fabric, which is a coloured Fair Isle pattern on the "right side", created on the main bed with special punch cards, and usually a simple bird's eye (alternate colours) on the "wrong side" created on the ribber. 

Are you just thinking of acquiring a ribber or wondering what you can do with one you already have?

Jenny
d p
delia pena

4 years ago
Hello Jenny I have a ribber. I wanted to make scarves, shawel, blanket. but its hard if I don't have design to see and get idea.
d p
delia pena

4 years ago
Hello Sandee where do you get idea for project thank you
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC