L S
Lesley Scott

4 years ago
I liked the Big Hug pattern the moment I saw it. Winter has felt so cold this year here in Sydney. 
I knit the first Big Hug by hand while travelling in Western Australia- perfect travel partner. Lots of plain knitting cos I cannot walk and chew gum much less chat and knit! I blocked it on a cruise in Alaska!! Sorry no photos of that one currently.
the machine knit one caused me concern. Used the no 2 pattern card (first patterned project) and my Brother ribber with Bendigo Woolen Mills 4 ply 100% wool.  Despite many tension squares I felt it was going to be snug in the arms (2x2 rib) and a bit shorter than i’d wanted. 
I don’t mind a shorter length but it needs to be wide to look proportional IMHO.
too make the sleeves bigger in girth and widen the body I knit a 1x1 rib and inserted it down the sleeve and side seam. I’d read that the most interesting fabrics mix warm and cool colours - yassss!
The backstitch sewing looked sloppy as this squishy fabric separated to display the stitches. So I sewed it up w straight stitch on my sewing machine. The overlocker looked on in disgust! But no wobbling of the seams and it’s held together more seamlessly- pun intended. Loving my new jumper. But keen to understand where my washed tension swatch of pattern went wrong? 4FCC5334-DFEE-4490-8821-2AE17BD9D473.jpeg  49AF9049-45EB-4C4E-9E81-8DF7AE2E5855.jpeg  8E49D643-6886-408C-A865-70A3E6356032.jpeg  9EB85190-472A-460B-8B69-B542F143C544.jpeg
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

4 years ago
Lesley,
You have inspired me!  I have created garments that are too small, and never thought of inserting a gusset, which is essentially what you did, all the way up and down the side and sleeve seam.  I will be adding this to my little (tho' getting bigger) bag of tricks!  I probably wouldn't have quite gotten the idea without the photos you included.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Lesley,
You have inspired us all!  Instead of accepting disaster you made lemonade!
Using the contrasting color "made" the sweater!
Thanks for sharing!
L S
Lesley Scott

4 years ago
Thanks guys. Not sure why this ended up in Christmas?? Cos our Christmases are way too hot for thick jumpers ;Q
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Whoosh ... moved it to Adults
C A
Colleen Arnold

4 years ago
This is brilliant Lesley, and I love the insert.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC