P D
Phyllis K Day

4 years ago
From an estate, a friend of mine sold me two G-carrages, a KG 88 and kg 88II. She's a machine knitter but knows nothing about the "turtle." They came incomplete, with only one power cord, and one set of the three rails. Each unit has a needle installed (black housing FYI) but there are no spares. Only one tripper. Everything else is missing.

Using the instruction book to figure out what is missing, there is among the accessories a set of "punch cards," But I plan to use it on my standard Brother/KnitKing 965 and there is no place to feed punch cards. Can I still use a G-Carriage on a 965? Do I need punch cards?

In the early 1980's I had a Brother 910 and a got a G-Carriage as soon as they were available where I lived. I don't remember too much that far back as you might imagine; the 910 used punch cards and had some electronic patterning and I recall using the cams. I sold the 910 and the G-Carriage a few years later.

Fast forward to today and back to my two old "turtles" with a need for some care. I see on eBay the parts I am missing:  needle, cams, weights. Some auctions say for "KG 88...etc." But others start with "KG-89." Can I use KG-89 parts?

All and any advice and information is most welcome. I'd also be happy to speak on the phone about how to get up to speed.

Thanking you in advance,
Phyl
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Phyl!
What a find!  You are now off on an adventure to becoming a turtle expert!

Punchcards vs electronics: remember these are devices to select needles.  The g-carriage only cares what needles are selected.  So if you are using an electronic machine, you'd use an appropriate pattern and the turtle will do the work based on what needles are selected.

Have fun!
A P
Ann Poprdan

4 years ago
To use the GC with an electronic machine you will need a magnet which fits at the back of the turtle.  If you are in the US Michael Becker (?) may be able to help you there.  Or any dealers that deal with Brother machines.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC