J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago

Hi all 
I wanted to share a scarf I finished and blocked last night. This is a gift for a dear Irish friend who is moving back to Ireland at the end of the month. 

The stitch pattern is no. 597 from Brother Punchcard Pattern book Vol. 5 (page 170) with lace weight merino from Madeline Tosh about 195 grams made on the KH970 with garter carriage boarders at the shot ends. 

A pleasure to work with this pattern, yarn, and color.
best regards
Jacqueline 610C255C-57B4-460B-BEC4-7968984E7744.jpeg  7B20BAEC-999D-48E8-A067-74DDF4AB21B6.jpeg 

D H
Deborah Henderson

4 years ago
Beautiful! Also want to send you a big THANK YOU! I have never thought of using my cast on combs as a blocking aid genius!!
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

4 years ago

I'll say !!!! --- on the cast-on combs.....sheer genius!

And beautiful scarf.  Question:  Even after blocking (with blocking wires and steam iron), and setting heavy books on overnight, I still have curling edges on some scarves -- especially i.e. tuck lace.  Was your curl gone after blocking?

J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago
Hello Sandee,

Yes, you are right. The long edges were not 'beautifully' flat. After taking off the cast on combs I used during blocking I decided to steam the edges and let them curl back to have a natural and even appearance.

I made a similar scarf but even longer for another friend of mine and tried lacing blocking wires along the edge and it was so tedious and took forever.... So the night before blocking this one, I just decided the cast on comb would be faster. It certainly was faster .... but not flatter. 😃

There was no curl on the garter edges naturally.

Pictures of both the right side and wrong side to show the final curl are attached.

Kind regards,
Jacqueline
J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago
After tonight I probably wont see the scarf again 🙁 so I decided to take pictures also to show the drape - 2 photos attached drape long
J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago
Here are two images of the first scarf I made and blocked with wires instead of the combs. I was fighting with the edges and fussing about the curl. Certainly I did not have the edges and curl sufficiently under control.
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

4 years ago
Well, shucks, Jacqueline,

That curl is more than acceptable!  I've made 10 or 11 scarves in the last few months and two became disposable dust cloths because absolutely nothing I did got rid of the curl.  I tried attaching a machine edging on one of them and it STILL curled. 
Sandee in Seattle, WA., USA
J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago
😃 thank you Sandee for the kind words.
I am also thinking about attaching machine edgings (by making the edging first in advance and attaching as I go with the scarf.) And considering a simple way to use transfers (maybe a 2 needle mesh something stable)...need to experiment more there 😃
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

4 years ago
If you find an edging to stop the curl, I'm all ears -- so do share!
J G
Joy Green

4 years ago
Yes, please do. It's a lovely scarf 🙂 
L R
Lyn Reese

4 years ago
Beautiful.  Was going to use my combs after seeing you use them, but since you didn't think they worked that well, probably won't.   
J S
Jean Schwan

4 years ago
This is so beautiful.  I absolutely love the color and the pattern is a very special one to me....I use a Silver Reed and do not have this lace pattern.  Will have to do some looking.  Your friend is going to love this!
J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago
Just wanted to share a finished object I made for My Mom. I showed her this forum and she loves the idea of people who like machine knitting coming together. She was happy to be posted here ðŸ˜Š
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Jacqueline,
The sweater is beautiful, just like your Mom! 
The I-cord trim really adds to the design
Thanks for sharing
J O
Jacqueline Oertli

4 years ago

Thank you Sue. 😊 

She wore it on her 80th bday and to church the day before her bday.  It made me smile to see how much she liked wearing it too. I am so glad it fit her! She can get in and out of it easily with the wide drop shoulder sleeves.

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC