d p
delia pena

4 years ago
written instruction;
when it comes to instruction. when it say decrease 1 stitch both side every 5 row 2 times or when you first start its telling you bind off and then decrease it don't seem to match the number and your increase. will you be explaining those instruction step by step because I have a problem with that. if so I will order that workshop that's what I need help please thank you
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Delia
I’m out of the office this weekend, but... please let me know which pattern and i’ll Get back to you ASAP
d p
delia pena

4 years ago
Its not one pattern it like butterfly you increase all in increase and you get the part knit even over100 stitch an you don't have that many stitches what do you do? or is it that I am not doing increase right maybe its me. Thank you
d p
delia pena

4 years ago
5 stitch every  other row 11 times at right edge 1 3 5 6 7 9   4 stitch every other row 7 time at the at right edge
 i no i can do short roll on these but when they say 4 stitch every 3 roll that when I get lost
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Hi Delia,
Let's see if I understand...

Your pattern reads:
Decrease 5 stitches EVERY OTHER row 3 times
Decrease 4 stitches EVERY OTHER rows 3 times
Decrease 3 stitches EVERY 3 rows 4 times

If you want to use short rows for this shaping, you can only do it on the rows that are worked EVERY OTHER ROW.  Once the math changes to every 3rd row, you need to bind off.

Row by row for the above example:

Row 2: Place 5 stitches in hold
Row 4: Place 5 stitches in hold
Row 6: Place 5 stitches in hold
Row 8: Place 4 stitches in hold
Row 10: Place 4 stitches in hold
Row 12: Place 4 stitches in hold

At this point you'd want to bind off those stitches before continuing

Row 15: Bind off 3 stitches
Row 18: Bind off 3 stitches
Row 21: Bind off 3 stitches
Row 24: Bind off 3 stitches

Does this help?
d p
delia pena

4 years ago
yes thank you

my last question practice sleeve this is sample of the of practice sleeve one said to decrease1 stitch both side every 3 row 2 time 38-41 I did that its the next step 
decrease 1 stitch both side every 5 row 2 time 47-52 okay between 38-41    6 number until I get 47 do I decrease 6 stitch and when I get to 48 49 50 decrease. this will be my last question  thank you
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Please keep the questions coming.  It's helpful to others and it also helps me understand where you are getting stuck!

I copied the instructions you are referring to below

I'm wondering if your confusion is because of short row shaping for the sleeve shaping. 

In the following pattern, I wouldn't use short row shaping for the initial shaping.  Notice that you are working every 3 rows, then every 5 rows, then every 3 rows (the yellow highlighted section)

In the pink section, the decreases are worked every other row and you MIGHT consider working short row shaping for a nicely shaped cap.  

Please try knitting a few sleeve caps WITHOUT short rows to get a feel for this.... THEN play with using short row shaping.

If you haven't seen this video ... it should help

This one also has good tips for shaping sleeve caps

Again, please keep the questions coming! ðŸ˜Š

sample_sleeve.jpg    
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
While we're on the subject of set-in sleeves, I have a related question.  In some patterns (for example the KIN Sunshine Cardigan) there are instructions to decrease the sleeve cap by one stitch each side every row n times and then decrease 2 stitches every other row n times.

What is the difference between these instructions? - they both reduce by the same number of stitches over the same number of rows. so does it matter if one does the "one stitch each side every row" all the way.

Surely, decreasing 2 stitches means a cast-off or stitches in Hold and it is not going to be so easy to make a smooth seam?

Jenny
d p
delia pena

4 years ago
Thank you that video help me Thank you ðŸ˜Š
K R
Karen Ryan

4 years ago
Jenny,
This may be hard for me to describe but I will try.
If you think about decreasing 1 st every row you will get a steep angle to your fabric similar to a V or 45 degree angle.  But if you decrease 2 stitches at one time even if it is every other row the decrease will be a lower angle more like the bottom of a U.  More stretches out.  I don't know the pattern you are referring to but I would think the 2 decrease per row would conform to the bottom of an armpit hole. Like a shallow cup.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC