J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
I keep asking about this in various places in the hope that eventually I will find someone who still has the pattern I want.

It is a pattern called Magic Garden, for a sideways-knit sweater with lots of individual motifs of various flowers, butterflies, a bee and a dragonfly, positioned in clever ways that overcame the limitations of a 24-stitch punchcard.  I bought the pattern when it was advertised in one of the knitting magazines, way back probably in the 1980s.  I think it might have been an American pattern because I remember thinking in those days that Americans seemed to be so very innovative and creative with patterns.

Unfortunately, after a long period when I had lost interest in machine knitting I sold my machine and equipment and my huge library of books, punchcards and patterns about 20 years ago.  Since coming back to the craft a few years ago I have been able to replace much of what I missed from the old days, but have yet to find anyone who even remembers the Magic Garden pattern, unless ...  

Jenny
W T
Wilma Tammer

4 years ago
Pat Stanton used different punch cards by using partial knitting etc. But I only own one booklet of her. It is called Fun with Fair Isle. Maybe if you search her name or booklets you’ll end up finding what you’re looking for. Keep us informed please! Wilma
W T
Wilma Tammer

4 years ago
Or maybe ask around at the Machine Knitting Guilds?
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
Thanks, Wilma!  I hadn't heard of Pat Stanton before but I see that some of her books are available locally so I will have a look at them.

Jenny
W T
Wilma Tammer

4 years ago

The booklet I have describes a technique of which I think can easily be used for sideways knits.

That would mean you could knit two or maybe more patterns on the same height, say for instance 50 rows high. Then use different punch cards for the next 50 rows etc. If I front, knit sideways, would need 150 rows, you could have 3 different patterned sections. just make sure your gauge swatches are similar.

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC