d p
delia pena

4 years ago
I hope you  understand what Iam saying. yes I do my swatches okay. The problem is I make my swatch. I don't no if it right  or wrong until I make garment if I knew head of time. what stitch Im working for maybe my garment will come out a little better or close to it. On pattern at least tell me if you have stitch so many or gauge I will have something to work for and no what I looking for. I just don't no few stitches or more stitches will make garment right size. please help me thank you
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Delia,
I'm not sure if I understand. 
Are you saying that your finished sweaters aren't coming out to the correct size?

1. Can you please send a photo of your swatch with rulers and tell me what you've determined is the gauge.

2. Then take a finished sweater and mark a 4" square in the middle of a piece.  Count the stitches and rows in the 4"
Take a photo

In other words, let's see why your finished sweater isn't correct.

There are 2 ways of working with swatches.

1. Knit a swatch to your liking and measure it. Determine YOUR gauge.  Create a pattern of your own based on your swatch.  
You can use a Knit it Now pattern, Software or a Knit Radar/ or Knit Leader.

2. Match gauge.  If you are using an existing pattern that has an established gauge, you can knit as many swatches as you need until you match the designer's gauge.  In other words, adjust your tension dial on the carriage and the tension dial on the mast untll your gauge matches the designer's gauge exactly.

Keep making swatches until you get one that matches.
On pattern at least tell me if you have stitch so many or gauge I will have something to work for and no what I looking for. I just don't no few stitches or more stitches will make garment right size. 

What do you mean?  If you are using a Knit it Now pattern, we don't tell you what gauge to use ... you establish that yourself. (See #1 above)

You should NEVER have to guess and add/subtract stitches and rows as you are knitting with ANY pattern.

1. Establish your gauge. Be sure to measure accurately.
2. Knit your garment pieces the same way you knit your swatch
3. The garment pieces WILL be the correct size (no adjustments necessary)

I suspect that you are struggling when measuring your swatch.  If the knitting is loose, you need to measure the swatch hanging ... not flat
Please take a look at this
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/804/gauge-and-drop

d p
delia pena

4 years ago
Thank you
I took it all part to start all over. I will try again.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
I understand how frustrating this is ...please send a photo of your swatch and your gauge.... before you knit the sweater again.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC