E M
Elizabeth Malloy

4 years ago
Ugh. I found such beautiful patterns by Drops Garnstudio but they are knit in the round with double pointed needles.  I haven't a clue what double pointed needles are for. Anyway, I can't seem to figure out how to separate it into flat bed knitting and how to do the yoke.  Any help would be so appreciated.
one of the patterns  is Winter in Apennines.  It is a free pattern.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Sincerely

Lisa Malloy
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
Double-pointed needles are used in the same way as a circular needle - they allow you to knit round and round forming a "tube" of knitting without a seam.  As with machine knitting, the same side of the fabric is always facing you as you knit.

I haven't looked closely at this pattern but it might be possible for you to knit this yoke in 2 pieces - the front and half of each sleeve and the back with half of each sleeve, rather than in four separate pieces with seams.  The instructions are to decrease before and after the markers which indicate where the seam would be between front/sleeve, sleeve/back, back/sleeve and sleeve/front.  On the machine, if you are knitting the yoke in 4 separate pieces, you would decrease at each end of the piece, like shaping a raglan.  If you are knitting the yoke in 2 pieces, you would need to do a double decease during the row at the point where the seams would be if:  this involves moving the stitches (decrease) then moving all the stitches in from each end of the row to fill the empty needles.

I hope this helps, but ask again if I have not made myself clear.

Jenny 
D K
Deb Knight

4 years ago
Thank you Jenny. I have been itching to try and translate a Drops pattern to machine instructions but couldn't quite wrap my head around it. You make it sound so easy!
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
The round yokes can be challenging on the machine ... lots of moving stitches, combined with color work.

There are a couple of Facebook groups that are dedicated to this topic

Round yoke facebook groups

https://www.facebook.com/groups/431730810551554/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/579660759056305/

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC