M S
Marja Slui

4 years ago
Hi, 
I bought an old magazine called Know how (a machine knitting news publication). There is mention of slack rows....what are slack rows? They are used instead of 2 rows of contrast yarn making a gauge swatch.
15823821421674928795986541447075.jpg
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
"Slack rows" will be rows knitted at a much looser tension than the main body of knitting.  As the article says, you need to be knitting no looser than Tension 8, so you could go up to T10 for the slack rows. 

I have not heard of this idea before and personally, I'd much prefer to do the contrast colour as I think this will show up better and be easier to measure accurately.

Jenny
S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
I agree, Jenny!  contrasting color would be much easier to see.

Yet another cryptic MK term for the archives!

HK1.jpg 
J B
Jenny M Benson

4 years ago
I had been going to add "Sue won't care how you do it, as long as you DO a gauge swatch!" but thought better of it!!

Jenny
M S
Marja Slui

4 years ago

Hi, thank you for explaning the mysterious 'slack rows' it puts my mind at ease now ðŸ˜‚
I will use the 2 rows of contrast color for swatching, it will be much more visible indeed.

Can I just share some other something?

A few weeks ago I purchased a Brother kh965i with all kind of extras. The machine has been used until the owner passed last december. 
Well for me it's a huge upgrade from my kh890 to a kh965i, ohh the possiblilities it will give me ðŸ˜
Last week I bought books from the UK, I'm from the Netherlands...
- Brother knitting techniques (the red book)
- Brother ribber techniques (the green book)
- Know how magazine
- Option 4 by Knitmaster (aka LK150 by Silverreed)
- Electronic knitting by Kathleen Kinder
- Brother beginners collection
- Stitch world I & II (for the kh965i) 

I know most of these books are downloadable from http://www.machineknittingetc.com but I ,m rather old school, a book in my hand.😆

Well kind regards, Marja 

S J
Sue Jalowiec

4 years ago
Nice find!  I agree, sometimes it's just nice to sit down with a book.  

BTW - we host the Machine knitting ETC collection at Knit it Now, too ... our search functionality is a bit different ... might be easier for some to find the docs you need.

https://www.knititnow.com/ManualAndDocuments/
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC