J O
Jacqueline Oertli

3 years ago

The photos are prickly pear/Pepper 1X as a WIP on a KH970 at T=1 fine 2 ply strong soft alpaca on cones.

My fit challenge is to get enough width in my chest and back/shoulders. If I knit straight based on my back/shoulders/chest measurements, I have just a little bit too much width at the waist.

The vertical dart is really not taking out too many stitches (I hope)

The back piece, with sewing thread every 40 rows., shows roughly where I could start and end the vertical darts in the front piece.

Perhaps for the future, if I make a 2nd version of this sweater, I can see where I might need darts here in the back too.

I learned in a class on bust adjustments from Mona NicLeoid Wagner that I should experiment with putting the vertical darts with 50% of the needles in the middle (94needles in the middle because I have in total of 188needles in work on the bed) and 25% of the needles left of the vertical dart needle (in my case needle L47) and 25% of the needles right of the vertical dart needle (R47)

So the bed looks like.... 25% of the needles :: 50% of the needles :: 25% of the needles
“::� means this is the needle where the vertical dart is formed— needle 47 for me

I pinched the back at the waist to see how many stitches I want to decrease there at the waist.

I guess that every 6 rows a decrease at that needle L47 & R47 starting after row 40 might 😉look ok...
we will see..

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Looking great!   Please keep us posted!

Vertical Darts tutorial
Vertical Darts Tutorial for Machine Knitting
J O
Jacqueline Oertli

3 years ago
Just posting an update on the progress. Still working on the flowers... and snagging/unsnagging practice continues...
J G
Joy Green

3 years ago
Looking really good!!!
Joy :)
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Beautiful!  The vertical darts really add a designer touch!
M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago

Vertical darts:  there are 2 ways that I know of of doing them.  I learned from Mary Ann Oger for doing darts with fairisle & stitch patterns she would knit the pieces of front (or back) in 3 segments (like princess 28B249CA-A372-4E49-8EE7-320E3961A0E4.jpeg  seams) doing the dart decreases at the edges then put all the segments on the needle bed & continue up to the neckline.  The dart openings would be sewn together when knitting is completed.  I haven’t done this method yet. When doing darts I have to decide if I want them to be either invisible or a design element. Invisible is achieved by alternating the direction of your decreases being careful of the frequency & I make the decreases either away from or onto a center stitch of the dart.  The photo shows invisible vertical darts. A former instructor preferred that these decreases not be too frequently, around an inch apart vertically.

Design element is achieved by making all decreases in a dart In the same direction. Depending on how fitted you want the garment, you would also be making decreases at the seam edge. 

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
something like this????   I'm working on a DAK course about fit and this will be included ... stay tuned! ðŸ˜‰

darts.jpg 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC