Z H
Zachary Hoh

3 years ago

Hi everyone! 

I’ve had a lot of fun playing with DAK9 and have had some success in drafting original patterns. 

What I found to be most challenging is the written garment text/instructions and their formatting. I don’t like how the written instructions ask for preparation rows and asked to need the same as above without shipping etc. I don’t have the cable link so Interactive Knitting is out. (Though I’d definitely purchase it if it clarifies shaping instruction!)

I’ve seen the video here outlining changes to the Japanese shorthand format, does anyone know if similar changes can be made to the garment text print option? I didn’t see anything in the options ( wrench and double wrench). I’d really love to just be able to see row by row instructions without all of the prep rows and other info. 

I realize I’m asking for something probably too specific but I figured this would be a great place to chat about this!

Hope you’re all safe and sound!

Zach 

M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago
Hi Zach, I first started DAK with 7, then 8, now 9. I don’t use the written instructions. For me, too easy to make mistakes & get lost. I learned many years ago from a knitting instructors patterns (1970’s) to read the Japanese notations.  I print out the notations which has the schematics & work from that.  I also make my own notes on the print out especially when doing the neckline, tension changes, color changes, etc. For printing out, its best to select the wrenches option to have the notations in “vertical “ order because the numbers can sometimes be illegible if this option isn’t selected.  I only use interactive knitting when doing stitch patterning & even then I do increases & decreases from the notations.  Yes the written instructions are not easy reading like Sue’s KIN pattern instructions
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
I agree that the text format is visually difficult to follow as you are knitting.

I like to use the Japanese notations, but make row and stitch count notes on the page to follow as I knit.

I created a new tutorial on this subject. and gathered all 3 tutorials about Japanese Notation in DAK in one place

http://www.knititnow.com/JAPANESE
garment_notation_thumb1.jpg 
Z H
Zachary Hoh

3 years ago
Thank you Mary and Sue!

Super helpful suggestions! 
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone