S G
Susan Gore

3 years ago
I am trying to knit Fisherman's rib but failing, and would appreciate help in identifying what I'm doing wrong.

Machine: SK280
Ribber: SRP60N.

I have successfully created a scarf in English Rib according to the instructions in the manual (Page 29).
After the cast on I set the main bed to Tuck, and only the right hand side lever to triangle, ribber is set to knit with the two set levers at 1.

The instructions for Fisherman's Rib say to set the machine to tuck one way on the main bed and the other on the ribber.
Experiment 1) Main bed tucks to right, ribber tucks to left
Leaving the main bed set up as above I move the Pick knob to the left to the Tuck position and the left set lever to 0. With this set up it is difficult to push the carriage from right to left and there seems to be a noise as each needle is passed. Moving the carriage from left to right is easy and just the normal carriage noise.

Experiment 2)  Main bed tucks to left, ribber tucks to right
Main bed set to tuck with left hand side lever to triangle, and right hand side lever to circle.
Ribber set to tuck with left set lever to 1 and right set lever to zero. This time carriage moves easily from right to left, but stops and won't move once it reaches the first working needle when moving left to right.

Experiment 3) 
Took off the ribber arm and move the carriages independently across the beds, the needles move into the expected positions.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.
T W
Tina Watson

3 years ago
What size yarn are you using?  Maybe try a thinner yarn.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
I agree with Tina, thinner yarn?

Can you knit in Full Needle rib? (All needles in work)

Could the ribber need an adjustment?
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/897/adjusting-a-ribber
S G
Susan Gore

3 years ago
Hi

Thanks for your input. Following some awful yarn tangles in the past I always test the settings (needles/pitch/levers etc. ) without yarn first. Sorry I should have included that info in the original post.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
OK - so the problem you are reporting is WITHOUT yarn?
S G
Susan Gore

3 years ago
Yes. that is correct
M B
Mary Ann Bucklin

3 years ago
I strongly suspect this is a static electricity problem.  Noisy one way and difficult to move the carriage.  Is it better after you let it sit for a while?  For me that is the direct clue.  You can use dryer sheets to dust off the bed and put one under the cone of yarn.  That seems to help, but the solution for me is to run a humidifier in my knitting room.  That pretty much takes care of the problem.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC