j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
multi coloured sweater.jpg

I came across this sweater some time ago and would love to give it a go. I just have a basic standard gauge Brother km..no intarsia carraige or anything. I could use one of the basic knitting patterns from KIN but wonder how I might approach the diagonal. The yarn that I have is probably not all the same so I would have to do different swatches anyway. Should I knit it in separate pieces? but how to plan that. I have only knit stripes so far. Any suggestions would be welcome even if only to realise that I would not be able to manage it.
Thanks in advance
Josephine
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
I LOVE a challenge!  The biggest challenge will be the different yarns ....

If you were using the same gauge, you could chart the diagonal using knitters graph paper
https://www.knititnow.com/tools/graphpaper.cfm

But at different gauges, I would knit the diagonal sections in pieces and seam them.

I think DesignaKnit could make quick work of the math. How about if you sketch out the dimensions, and your gauges, and I'll pop it into DAK to get some instructions for you.
j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
Thank you.  OK I will do that and will get back to you.
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
Needless to say, Sue has given you a very good answer.

However, if you like that sort of geometric design I really would encourage you to seek out an Intarsia carriage for your machine.  They are very easy to use and you can have such fun with one!   Although you don't necessarily need to use the same yarns throughout an intarsia design, it certainly makes life a lot easier if they will knit up to the same gauge.

These are a couple of little sweaters I made using intarsia..  If I recall correctly, the second one is Kathleen Kinder design and I think the other was from a book, but I forget which one.  I LOVE doing intarsia and it is great for using up oddments of yarn.

Intarsia 001.jpg  Intarsia 002.jpg

Jenny  
j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
Oh they are lovely. I have just got my head around the basic machine and maybe in time I will look for such a carraige. Machine knitting is not big here in Ireland so not sure where I might get one.
j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
[QUOTE username=knititnow userid=6379890 postid=1311584717]I LOVE a challenge!  The biggest challenge will be the different yarns ....

If you were using the same gauge, you could chart the diagonal using knitters graph paper
https://www.knititnow.com/tools/graphpaper.cfm

But at different gauges, I would knit the diagonal sections in pieces and seam them.

I think DesignaKnit could make quick work of the math. How about if you sketch out the dimensions, and your gauges, and I'll pop it into DAK to get some instructions for you.[/QUOTE]

Sue,.
I have all that information now..is this the right place to put up all the details or will I create a document and email to you.
Thanks
Josephine
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC