A S
Anita Swift

3 years ago
Does anyone have experience with this machine? 
I am considering buying one with a ribber, but it is a considerable outlay, so I would appreciate other knitters' thoughts on it, or any other mid-gauge machines.
(I am loving my std gauge Brother KH970 and KR850 with DAK, and was hoping to have a similar mid-gauge option.)
Thanks,
Anita
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

3 years ago
Hello, Anita.  I am Sandee from Auburn, Washington State, USA.  I love my 860, and you are extremely lucky if you've found an 860 with a ribber because they are almost impossible to find.  I still haven't found a ribber.  I used an LK-150 (Studio) and fell in love with the 6.5 mm gauge, so got myself an 860.  I really love it, and it's an opportunity to use up yarns that are too fine for my bulky and too heavy for my standard beds.  You will love this machine.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
I second @SANDEE GIMBLETT!  My 860 is a workhorse!  It knits a wide range of yarns AND gives you all the fun bells and whistles that your 970 has.
The terms and position of the buttons/levers differ from your 970, but you'll be able to "translate" easily.
You'll be able to connect DAK.  Since the patterning computer isn't built in like your 970, you'll have a bit of learning curve, but you'll have fun with it.
Instead of starting fresh as a MKer, you have experience to fall back on.

I vote that you go for it!  If you don't like it, I'm sure there are lots of folks who will gladly take that machine off your hands.😉
C L
Chris Lyon

3 years ago
I bought my 860 and then was lucky enough to find the ribber separately.  Yes, neither one was cheap, but I think it was very much worth the expense.  I moved my LK150 at my son's house in another state, but this is the one I chose to keep at my house.
M B
Mary Ann Bucklin

3 years ago
I also have an 860 with ribber and DAK.  I haven't quite figured out the DAK part, but I love the way the 860 knits.  It seems so much finer than the LK150 which I take to knit in's because it's light weight.  I suppose learning DAK and hooking it up to the 860 would be a good exercise while at home.
R M
Robin Myers

3 years ago
I purchased the SK860 and SR860 last year. They are great machines! I like all of the beautiful hand knit yarns I can use with this machine. I stared with the brother 970 and then bought a brother 270 (do you see a pattern here?) It works a little differently, but you'll get the hang of it.
P S
Patricia J Schwab

3 years ago
I LOVE my 860 with Ribber.  Just a small caution--make sure the Carriage patterns.  I now have 2 Carriages, neither of which pattern properly.  I think I maybe wore them out, but, because it has happened twice, I think you maybe should double-check with the seller.
Enjoy!!
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

3 years ago
Helpful idea on Studio 860:  Because the regular carriage for this machine is so heavy, I regularly use the intarsia carriage for stockinette because it's ever so much lighter.
E B
Else Blom

3 years ago
Nice to read all the positive feedback. I get an equivalent to sk860 in the next month and hope it is in good order. So looking forward to it! 
A S
Anita Swift

3 years ago
Thanks so much everyone for your positive comments. I haven't been here for a while because my elderly Dad fell and I've been looking after him, so sorry it took so long to respond. I feel encouraged now that it would be worth the outlay - I'm about to buy myself a birthday present ðŸ˜
A S
Anita Swift

3 years ago
And thanks for the tip, Sandee.
A S
Anita Swift

3 years ago
[QUOTE 
You'll be able to connect DAK.  Since the patterning computer isn't built in like your 970, you'll have a bit of learning curve, but you'll have fun with it.
Instead of starting fresh as a MKer, you have experience to fall back on. QUOTE]
Thanks, Sue.
I don't have a lot of experience, but I'm hooked! And all the resources here certainly have enhanced my experience!
So to connect DAK to the SK860, do I just need Silverlink 5?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
That's what I have, but it's best to contact a dealer or Softbyte to get just what you need for your machine.

https://www.softbyte.co.uk/cablelinkssilverreed.htm
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC