C L
Cecilia Lenagh

3 years ago

Hello, Sue, I have two brief questions about the Taffy pattern. I haven't knitted it before, and trying a square neck is a new method for me.

(1) The neck band options provided in the pattern aren't mitred. Should I be planning a square mitred band? I am knitting a child's pullover, and if a non-mitred band will work, I would use mock rib to match the welt. But I can't picture it sitting neatly in a square neckline, if not mitred. 
(2) The pattern instruction says 'Seam shoulders pick up neck band'. Seam one shoulder only, I assume, and the second one after the band is knitted? 

Thanks,
Cecilia 

J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
For the sake of speed, I have in the past knitted a small child's sweater with a square neck and am un-mitred bad.  The band was in 1x1 rib and doubled over and was quite hard to distinguish from a round neck when finished.  I think the squareness would have been more defined with a deeper neck opening, but obviously a mitre gives the neatest, squarest finish.

Jenny
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Hi Cecilia,
I'm so sorry for the delay in responding.  I missed your post. In case you are still interested ...

Here's a tutorial about mitered bands
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/232/square-neck-mitered-band

Square Neck Mitered Band Tutorial for Machine Knitting

Yes, you would join one shoulder, work the band and then finish the other shoulder and join the band.

Sue
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC