S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
We're creating a skirt pattern - just a simple 2 panel straight (or a-line) pencil skirt. It has a band at the top and no zipper.

Let's say the body measurements are 36" hip and a 24" waist.

Without considering ease, I'm thinking that one should knit the waist to be larger than 24 so it can be slipped on over the hips.

In other words D could be 36" but W should be 26-27"?

When knitting, you could reduce the stitches before knitting/attaching the waistband.

My concern is if you knit the top of the skirt to 24" you won't be able to get it on.

Am I over-thinking this?
skirt_legend.jpg
N P
Nicola Pople

3 years ago
I recently knitted a 2 piece straight pencil skirt to my dimensions (no ease but with shaping from hip to waist) in double jacquard. I used strong 1 1/2 inch elastic enclosed in the waistband. It fits well and is easy to slip on.

One thing though. I added an after thought lining to avoid bum sag. The lining fabric I had wasn’t stretchy so I made the lining to my hip dimension and gathered the top to fit the waist band.

Worked out great and I wear it a lot.

Nikki x
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Thanks Nik!
C P
Cynthia Price

3 years ago
Funny you should mention skirts.  I designed my out A line skirt for my granddaughter Autum, 5 soon to be 6.  I ripped it out since I want to add another inch to the waistline.  Better a but big than too tight.  It is knit sideways so she can wear it with the disease sweater we start tomorrow.  Thanks for the sideways jacket knit a long that taught how to cast on all stitches and short row your angle.  Will post a picture when it is finished.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC