R R
Rosemarie Robinson

3 years ago
Hi.  I just finished the Chipmunk Sweater for a grand-niece.  I would like to put i-cord around it, just like the photo on the pattern.  It appears to be i-cord with regular loops around.  My sweater was done on a standard punchcard machine.  My questions are:

1.  Is there a rule of thumb for calculating the number of rows of i-cord needed to go around?  Do you just add the number of rows/stitches together from all the sections?  
2.  If you are going to doing loops all around, what sort of factor would you use to augment the tally obtained in Question 1?  
3.  If I run out of pre-made i-cord before finishing, I obviously would have to make more i-cord.  How do you meld  the 2 sections together?  Do you use a particular type of seaming method?

Probably over-thinking this.  I appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Rosemarie
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Hi Rosemarie!
Instead of pre-knitting the cord you can knit it and attach it at one time

This video shows how

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/266/i-cord-trims
S G
SANDEE GIMBLETT

3 years ago
Rosemarie,
I make a lot of I-cord.  I always make it longer than the maximum length I think it should be and take it off on waste yarn.  After letting it rest and determining the actual length really needed, it's easy enough to unravel from the waste yarn end to the final measurement and sew the end by hand (only a few stitches necessary).  Another thing I do is knit some predetermined length, i.e. 100 rows, let it rest while still on the machine, and use a ruler to see how much length I'm getting out of  that 100 rows.  Let's say I got 12" out of  that 100 rows, and I need 36" for my final I-cord length.  That would mean I'd need another 200 rows, on top of the initial 100 rows, to get my final 36" length.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC