M B
Mary Bedell

3 years ago
Hi, my name is Mary Lynn and I am knitting in Caledonia, Wisconsin.  I am making a 2 color double jacquard sweater on my SK840 machine.  There is a patter on the bottom and top.  The middle is a solid color on the front with a 2 color birdseye on the back.  The further along I get on each piece the harder it is to move the carriage.  I have cleaned and oiled the machine and that helps for a bit but before long I am really having to push to move the carriage.  I am using a thin yarn with  carriage tension of about 3.  Am I doing something wrong or is this normal for jacquard?
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
That sounds to me very much like a problem of static.  Are you using a synthetic yarn?   When I first started machine knitting (too long ago to think about!) I had the same problem using an acrylic yarn intended for handknitting.  I was advised to run the yarn through or over a wax as I knit and this solved the problem.  My Brother machines have little projection on the yarn mast specifically for holding the wax which is supplied with the machine.

I have read American knitters saying they use tumble dryer sheets to wipe the needle bed to prevent static problems too.

I hope this helps.

Jenny.
M B
Mary Bedell

3 years ago
Your suggestion was perfect.  I used a dryer sheet and I am now knitting smoothly and easily.  I was so frustrated I was ready to just give up but now I am back to enjoying myself.  Thank you.
Mary Lynn
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC