L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
I have a double bed machine.  Based on the manual, I have it set for single bed use (second cam taken off, distance control set, normal stitch, etc).  I can get it to knit one direction, but it just carries the yarn back to the other side.  Does this mean that it will only knit when both beds are in use?  Also, I seem to be having issues with the cast on comb (?).  Instead of hooks, you put a wire through it, hold it up in front of the needles and the stitches form under the wire which is later removed to expose the stitches.  I can get the first half to form correctly, but the second half are not cooperating, and often jam the cam. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
What machine do you have?

If it isn't knitting in both directions, please check the carriage settings to make sure it's set for plain knitting.  It sounds like perhaps a "slip" setting in active in one direction????

this is a ribber cast on comb.  Does this look like yours?

ribber_comb9.jpg 
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
Re the machine not knitting in one direction, it's possible that one of the little flippers on the underside of the carriage is not moving when it should.  Take the carriage off the machine, turn it over and then press the various buttons for different stitch settings and confirm that everything is moving ok.  Everything is symmetiical so if something moves underneath when you press, say, the left Tuck button, a matching lever should move when you press the right right Tuck button.

The the ribbing problem, not really sure what you mean by "the first half" - do you mean half the needles, those nearest the carriage, are knitting ok, not the rest of the row?  Make sure that when you have put the wire into the comb and attached weights (you are attaching weights, aren't you?) that the comb in hanging ON THE STITCHES BETWEEN THE BEDS.  Sometimes it helps to hold the comb in position from underneath and push all the ribber needles into upper working position to ensure they don't get under the ribber wire.

I find that if I am using up to about 3/4 of the needles, it's much easier to insert the comb and wire if I drop the ribber one "click" at one end.  If casting on over all or most of the needles it's easier to drop both sides of the ribber that one click.  (I use a Brother machine and the ribber can be raised half way or fully up.  I am presuming yours is the same.)

Jenny
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
I think I have everything as instructed.  Dial to N (normal), distance at 4 (at least that's what lines up with the mark on the machine), disconnected front cam.  The dial doesn't really like to lock in at N but has a little give when i go to adjust stitch tension.  I played with it in all 3 positions (right at N, a bit right and a bit left).  None of them engage the stitches the other way.  I will have to look at the underside as Jenny (Thank you) recommended, but there aren't any levers to move like I've seen on the LK 150.  It's all done with the dial I think.  Maybe I'm just in over my head or the machine doesn't work properly.IMG_6221.jpg  IMG_E6222.jpg  IMG_6217.jpg  IMG_6220.jpg 

L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
Well, I figured out one part, I had the dials reversed.  It's the top one that decides the letter and the bottom is stitch size.  Thank you Jenny for the idea of checking each position.  Now the second part of my problem is the comb.  Yes, it is a ribber cast on comb that I have.  Can you use this for a single bed?  The new problem is that without weight, the stitches don't move off the needles.  I really feel like an idiot with all of this.  Afterall, it's not that complicated.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
You aren't an idiot!  The double bed machine (and logic) is all new to you...

Yes, you can use a ribber cast on comb for single bed
comb.jpg 
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/609/ribber-cast-on-comb-for-single-bed-knitting
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
Well, I'm making progress, I think.  I was able to cast on, add the ribber comb, transfer the stitches and got about 10 rows done.  I wanted to see what was going on and get more practice casting on so I took it off.  YAY!  Now, I have lots of practice with the cast on, adding the comb, and transferring the stitches one at a time to a single bed.  I get about 6 rows and the cam "jams."  It just gets stuck.  Every time.  My first thought was a bent needle.  But then I wondered if it was bent, why could I get those first few rows done.  I tried oiling it again and it seemed to help a little at first.
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
Congratulations on making progress - your determination deserves the reward!

The fact that you are able to knit several rows without a problem does suggest to me that the problem is static.  Are you using a synthetic yarn?  If so, can you try using a pure wool and see if you have the same problem?  If you don't, it is almost certainly static.  Does your machine have a place to affix a wax disk to the yarn mast?  Running the yarn over wax usually solves the problem.  You can also buy anti-static yarn sprays.

Jenny
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
I'll look for the spray.  But, in general, I use mainly natural fibers.  This happens to be a sock yarn, wool with some nylon.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
thank you @Jenny M Benson for helping Lisa with this machine issue.

@L Kresge - sometimes using a dryer sheet helps with static too.  Wipe down the needlebed, the mast, the yarn ... if nothing else your knitting room will smell nice for a bit! 
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
I am so frustrated with this.  I still cannot get my double bed to stop jamming.  I've tried working in the middle and starting on the left side.  It still jammed after a few rows so I think that tells me it is not a bent needle.  I've tried different yarns, but only sock yarns on a standard 5.0mm machine.  I've moved it to a different location so that I've worked on carpet and solid floors.  It's been multiple seasons with various weather conditions.  The dryer sheet really doesn't seem to do much if it is a static problem.  I thought about trying a computer static mat since a full ground is impractical given our house.  I just can't seem to get this machine to work and I feel that I am wasting my membership here because of it.  Does anyone have another idea?  I really don't want to give up on knitting machines, but I'm at the end.  HELP!!!!
N P
Nicola Pople

3 years ago

I am no expert, pretty new too, but wondering whether you have enough weight evenly distributed across the cast on comb.

My machine is different from yours but I had a similar problem in that the carriage was jamming after a few rows. The stitches weren’t knitting off properly. I added a weight in the centre and heavier weights on the edge. Seemed to work for me.

Also does your machine require sponge bars? If it does they can deteriorate and mess everything up. 

L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
Since it is a double bed (permanent ribber), it uses a cast on comb.  The comb is threaded through every stitch.  I also tried using a rag and hung hooks at the ends and in the middle.

As for the sponge bar, it does not have one.  Instead it uses a spring or coil.  I was told they do not really wear out like sponge bars, but perhaps the problem lies there. 

Thank you for the idea
N M
Nancy Mangeri

3 years ago
Are you using edge weights? They should be moved up every few rows to keep the edge stitches  knitting  properly .  The stitches  can get so tight they don't knit off  jamming up the carriage.  Also if you move the carriage too quickly  at the end of a row the yarn can loop up inder the carriage And cause a jam.  A smooth stead pace is best and not taking the carriage too far past the edge stitch so the yarn antenna wires have time to take up any slack in the yarn before the next row is started. Most carriages make a tiny click sound when the last needle has knit and the levers under the carriage snap back into position.  That lets you know the last stitch has knit and its time to start back. Hope this helps.
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
I am using the weights, first the cast on comb and then tried a rag with weights across the entire width.  I'll try again and check my speed.  I wonder if I speed up as it goes.  Thank you.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC