B P
Barbara Palmer

3 years ago
Such frustration trying to hold the ribber comb up into the zigzag row with one hand, and trying to thread a less-than-straight wire into the holes of the comb with the other hand????? 
Does anyone have any tips for straightening this wire? Or do I just have to buy a new one? If so, where?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
I feel your pain!  I've used a blocking wire as a replacement.  
I've heard that some knitters have found that fine wire in hobby shops .... (is there such a thing any more?) ðŸ˜?
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
Interesting question.  I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I was blocking a hand knit.  I checked, though, and my blocking wires are too large for my standard ribbing comb holes.  My first thought when I read your question was to suggest nylon pliers.  They are used for straightening wire in jewelry making.  You just run the wire through the nylon.
N P
Nicola Pople

3 years ago

I have recently discovered this site in the uk.  https://www.smartcoknitting.com/ They sell stronger stiffer ribber wires.

They have also developed long lasting covered sponge bars which they claim last up to 4 years!

J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
The sponge bars from Smartco are really excellent.  This user highly recommends them!

Jenny
M C
Marie-Jo Chaminade-Saintesprit

3 years ago
Hello, Sue ! Could you please tell me what you call "a blocking wire" to replace the usual ribber wire ?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
@Marie-Jo Chaminade-Saintesprit
a very thin metal wire that can be threaded through the edges of your knitting when blocking knitted pieces.
M C
Marie-Jo Chaminade-Saintesprit

3 years ago
Many thanks, Sue!
M S
Marsha Sachs

3 years ago
You can find replacement ribber wires at  https://theknittingcloset.com/ along with lots of other replacement parts.
M S
Megan Strohschein

3 years ago
I have heard that a G string for a guitar will work as a replacement. It is the thickest guitar string that is plain wire, not wrapped wire. I don't know yet if this will work, but I will try it and report back. I have a new-to-me bulky with ribber and the cast-on combs are not straight, and neither is the one length of wire that came with them. Sigh.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC