C Q
Cynthia Quill

3 years ago
I want to use up my yarn that I have collected. I thought I could make a bunch of afghans and blankets. I have never been a fan of knitted blankets because they are so difficult to wash and keep from balling up. What has been your experience with these issues? 

I just don’t think they look good for very long, they really are not warm because the air goes right through. Because of this, I am not sure that would be a wise use of the yarn I have collected. 

I have given up with sweaters for the time being. It is pretty much which was why I bought these machines. I never get one that fits and doing the neckline is a bear I never get right, it always looks sloppy. I would like to use up the yarn, but if the blankets with just the simple knit back and forth to give away will not actually keep anyone warm, I can’t see the point. I am not using a pattern they are just for warmth. I am not going to sew these onto any material for backing. They will just be the simple knit back and forth. That is it. i have not figured out the issue of that darn edge curl. 

I have 3 Brother machines, one of each size. They are not electric, but do use the pattern punch cards. Some day, I still hope to use them as I intended, but maybe making simple blankets to give to Social Services to distribute will the best use for now with Winter coming. Are they actually warm, lasting and easy enough to care for? 

I may just get out my crochet hook and just crochet some afghans, but it would be more fun to use a knitting machine.

Thank you.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Hi Cynthia!
I'm sorry you are so discouraged ... 
I don't know what you mean about blankets "balling up" Do you mean the yarn pills?  That has to do with the way the yarn is constructed.  Nothing we can do about it, other than washing the blanket by hand... even then pilling happens.

I recently used Berrocco Comfort worsted for a HK blanket that we use almost every day.  It's been used and washed and machine dried a number of times and there is very little pilling ... 

You can see some wear, but this is about a year old and has been washed and dried a number of times.
sue_blanket.jpg 
It's 50 nylon and 50 acrylic and it's sooo soft
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
Oh dear, Cynthia, you seem very fed up with your knitting experience to date:-(  Do you think perhaps you have been trying to do too much too quickly?  As you have 3 machines, have you concentrated on getting to know just one of them?  I know it's great to knit something really wearable and feel a great flush of success, but it really is best to get thoroughly conversant with one technique at a time.  As you mention being very dissatisfied with necklines, I suggest you concentrate on that first:  start by typing "necklines" into the KIN Search box and take it from there.  There are lots of hints and tips on how to create a neat, finished, neckline.

Another really big help for you would be to have someone who can help you one-to-one.  Of course, it's particularly difficult just now with so many of use being in lock-down or shunning togetherness, but if you could find a buddy who would be "there for you" even if only via Skype or Zoom, I'm sure that would be a blessing.

I do hope you will grow to love your machines, like so many of us do.  Best wishes!

Jenny 
C Q
Cynthia Quill

3 years ago
Yes, that is what it is actually called, yarn pills. I have also seen the yarn afghans with hairs, etc worked into the strands. Are they warm? I know I was given a knit afghan and it just stretched and was not warm at all. I would hate to make them up, give them to charity and find the people needing them did not get the benefit of warmth. I have not had much luck with knit afghans, myself, but it amy just have been my luck, or lack of. The look nice and that is something I do like about them. Maybe, just having them to cuddle would be soothing for someone who needs one?

If I crocheted around the edges after, that would eliminate the curl, right? 

Jenny, thank you. I have no one I can actually get help with for this, one on one. I really, at the moment, can only work on straight rectangle afghans, due to current situations. I figured making the afghans would use up some yarns that I have collected, and it would benefit others. I think in early Winter, I am going to give it another shot with one of the sweater patterns on KIN. I will probably have a lot of questions, again, at that time. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Blankets are such a great way to build your confidence!  You can use stitch patterns and mix 'n match colors for fun!

Check out the blanket classroom that can help you design your own blankets.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

3 years ago
Thank you. I will definitely check out the blankets classroom. 
M B
Mary Ann Bucklin

3 years ago
If you use a pattern punch card like tuck or slip that adds extra yarn to the blanket and thus makes it warmer.  Uses up more yarn too. Win Win.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC