M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago
I have a Silver Reed 860 & 840, electronics & the 160 (?) carriage for the mid gauge bed.  I bought a LK150 for my husband in order to have my 860 all to myself. I discovered that the LK150 can do something that neither of my machines can do unless you do double bed jacquard . The LK has the capacity to knit more than 2 colors per row!  This was a big wow factor for me!
A W
Ann-Blair White

3 years ago
OK.  You've got my attention !!😃 Are you talking about knitting 3 colors in one row by knitting 3 different passes of the carriage for that row, or is there some other kind of magic that I'm not aware of. I'm curious because I'm about to get my LK150 our of storage and want to play.  Thanks and Happy Knitting.
M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago
YES,  as many as you want!  I have electronic & non electronic carriages for my 860, & they won’t do this. I don’t know if the intarsia lever would, but I love the idea of more than 2 colors (traditional fairisle) per row. I’ve seen some neat color work patterns with multiple colors in 1 row.  Yes you will have to hand pull the needles to select for a color pass
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
Mary, can you please tell us how you do this on the LK150?  I know it is possible using Slip Stitch on Brother punchcard machines because there are patterns in the Brother Punchcard Patterns volumes.

Jenny 
M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago
Go to the following website:
https://Guagliumi.com/free-downloads/
select:  LK150 tips & tricks
The instructions are detailed but you will learn how to do color knitting on the LK.

Susan G worked for Studio/White (Silver Reed) in the past. At this website there is loads of free info for users OF these machines. Her 3 classes on Craftsy use the LK & are very good too
M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago
I’m having trouble figuring out replying on this site so I’m sorry if I repeat replies.  Be mindful that EACH ROW will require a color pass for how many colors you are using.  Example:  3 colors: you will knit the 3 colors separately before completing that row.  I saw that one person used 2 carriages for this saying it made it a little easier.
M K
Mary Kint

3 years ago
I gave a needle beetle (kriskrafter.com) to my hubby (early Christmas present). Any patterning in multiples of 8 (2-4-8) would make fairisle faster, tuck & slip too. What I think would be a good strategy for fairisle would be to create your design on graph paper (or in DAK stitch mode which we have). For the interactive mode to work, I would chart each color as a separate row on the graph (eg knit 3 passes with the different colors to make 1 row). If you don’t have DAK you would chart on the graph paper & mark by hi-liting the rows in sets of 3 or whatever to show where 1 row is completed.  For me that would solve the confusion of dealing with the row counter.  If knitting more than 2 colors per row, you’d have to remember which levers to switch on or off. Also the LK has the capacity of adding another pole & tension wires so you can have up to 4 strands of yarn up & ready to knit.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Hi Mary,
Thank you for sharing this with us!

BTW - instead of using graph paper, we have some "Cheat Sheets" for you to create your own templates for hand manipulated work.
The templates are sized for the different gauge machines.

Draw your design and the boxes line up accurately with the needles

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/910/cheat-sheets-for-hand-manipulation

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC