J L
Jennifer Lattimore

2 years ago
Hi, I'm Jenny from Lawrence, KS.  Thirty-two years ago my then new husband dragged home a Brother KH 840 from a garage sale.  I was indignant because I knit by hand and this seemed like cheating.  Oh boy did I have a lot to learn.  After leaving the 840  sitting in an attic for over 20 years, I decided that I needed to try it.  Not sure if it was the carpel tunnel or arthritis or a combination but there are now times I really don't want to knit by hand.  It became a big project and just getting the 840 cleaned up with a new sponge bar and a couple of new needles took a bit time, reading and watching videos online.  I also managed to sign up for an intensive machine knitting two day tutorial with a wonderful teacher in Missouri (Ileen Levy).  Then, thanks to online videos and sites like this, I learned to cast on and knit.  I now have one standard machine set up and one bulky machine.  I have made a bunch of fingerless mittens for friends, scarfs, hats, and at least one blanket for the couch. My current problem is with turning work.  

I have a friend that loves head bands and I found and easy pattern that I love and it allows me to put all kinds of patterns on the band but it also calls for turning the work at the very end.  I have practiced and practiced and practiced with a garter bar.  I would get all of the stitches transferred successfully maybe one in ten times and only with a much smaller number of stitches that what is called for with the headband.  There is no way that I would ever be able to coordinate turning over 100 stitches.  

Both of my machines were set up with ribbers but I finally had to remove the ribber on the standard gauge (the one I wanted to use for headbands) and I still couldn't do it.  I tried doing it with small samples, on waste yarn.  I was never able to master this either.  I used ravel cord but the cord just got stuck in the work and I ended up breaking it.  

When I hit these difficulties, I tend to just leave the knitting alone for a while until I think I can deal with it without wanting to pitch the whole mess. I have other difficulties and frustrations but this is the most current.  If I could master a technique, I could churn out a bunch of headbands in short order but I am definitely stuck.  

Anyway, suggestions are appreciated!

Jenny
J B
Jenny M Benson

2 years ago
Jenny, you are not alone - this Jenny has never mastered the garter bar, either.  I don't even bother trying any more.  When I need to turn a piece of knitting I use waste yarn:  knit a few rows (usually 8) with scrap yarn and strip the piece off the machine, turn it and re-hang by picking up the stitches of the last row knitted in the main yarn.

Some people might be critical of me not persevering with the garter bar, but my view is that we should ENJOY our machine knitting and that means doing whatever we are comfortable with.  I think you are to be praised for having tried so hard.

Jenny M Benson
J L
Julie Lyons

2 years ago
I’ve been a machine knitter for 40 years, and I haven’t master the garter bar either. I don’t even try anymore.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
😊 Isn't it nice to know you aren't alone in struggling with the garter bar?  @Jenny M Benson's suggestion about scrapping off is good. Another thought is to use a fine, circular hand knitting needle. Slip the stitches off, turn and rehang from the other end of the needle. 

You can see this done in this video
https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/732/garter-stitch-rtr
J L
Jennifer Lattimore

2 years ago
This sounds stupid but I am so glad I'm not the only one.  Yes, it is wonderful to know I'm not alone.  I will try again with waste yarn.  If that doesn't work, I'll try using a a fine circular needle.  I may also try loosening the tension a bunch in the last row so I can see the stitches better.  

Jenny
C M
Corina Meyer

2 years ago
Thank you for this post. I can stop trying to do this!
Corina
C A
Colleen Arnold

2 years ago
I am also all thumbs when it comes to the garter bar, so I use wy and rehang. Much easier. One day, I will sit at the machine and just practice.
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
FYI, I was fortunate to have some really good instructors on garter bar use.  Dianna Sullivan has a lesson CD on this.  One important point that isn’t usually mentioned is the following:  do not use a garter bar if your tension is 3 or smaller (any gauge machine). The prongs are too large & fragile yarns risk being broken & it’s very difficult to get any yarn to slide onto the garter bar prongs.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC