M S
Marsha Sachs

3 years ago
I am usually able to get to a certain stitch gauge, but almost never can I achieve the corresponding row gauge when I'm trying to match a gauge for a particular pattern.  I've tried adjusting tension on the upper tension mast, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  Even if I'm lucky enough to be able to find the exact same yarn as the pattern calls for, I usually get fewer rows per inch.  For example, it's supposed to be 6.75, I'll get 6.5.
Of course, I know how to do the math to adjust the patterns for the length, but that doesn't always work out when there's shaping involved.  Any suggestions?  
J L
Julie Lyons

3 years ago
Perhaps adding extra weight might help to increase row gauge?
M S
Marsha Sachs

3 years ago
OK, thanks.  Hadn't thought of that.
N P
Nicola Pople

3 years ago
I seem to struggle with this too. Not so much matching specific pattern gauges but when I look at the recommended gauges for the yarn I’m using my stitch count seems good but the row gauge is nearly always way high. I’ve tried loosening the mast so it’s almost sloppy and weighting my swatches. Is it just that yarns knit tighter vertically on machines than by hand.?
S R
SHIRLEY ROTHERY

3 years ago
I work from my gauge swatch and use a dynamic pattern where I enter my number of stitches and rows rather than trying to match someone else's gauge.  Hope this helps. 
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
This is why we created Knit it Now.  I could never match gauge even using the same yarn as the designer. ðŸ˜„
M S
Marsha Sachs

3 years ago
Well, at least I know it's not just me.  Knit it Now dynamic patterns are a great option, but there are lots of patterns that I have but can't find a similar style.  Like the knitted pants 

"Cozy Up With Me" Pants

by Lauren Riker.

I was able to match the gauge in this pattern on my LK150, but now want to try it on the standard bed and that'll be way different.
They turned out great, by the way, and are very comfy.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
You can use math to convert that pattern

Here's a link to a tool
https://www.knititnow.com/tools/GaugeConversion.cfm

And a video

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/661/gauge-conversion-tool
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702