C Q
Cynthia Quill

3 years ago

My cousin told me that I could have her deceased mom's electric brother knitting machine with ribber, if I pay the shipping. It would be from the southeast US to northeast US. If I recall, from previous conversations with her, it would be a kh950e, with ribber. When we were talking yesterday, she did not mention the model, but she did mention it a year or two before when she was going to give it to me. Her mother could no longer do it. I can't remember exactly what model it was, but for some reason, that is what I am thinking.

Now, if I remember correctly, and it is the kh950e, has anyone shipped one from the far southeast US to upper NYS area in the US? Can  you give me a guestimate of how much it might cost? I have no idea how much it would weigh. I am thinking close but not over $200?

Would this have to be connected to a computer or just plugged in? I have googled and googled the kh950e with ribber and find nothing. Every time I click a link, it is just a kh950. I am assuming that if it needs to be connected to a computer, I would need an old one with an old operating system because the newer ones would not be compatible? Maybe I am using the wring mode number?

I have looked for a manual to read up on it, but I keep getting the non-electric.

Is there an electric model kh950e Brother Knitting machine? Am I recalling past conversations wrong? I have tried googling for it, but keep coming up empty. They are always manual machines and the ribber is never mentioned with it. I wanted to read up on the ribber, as well as the machine, and no luck.

I believe this is the bulky. My 3 Brother manual machines are put away and I can't get to them to check. I am so put off by having to hand manipulate the beginning ribbing, that I have had issues getting myself to get them out, or have my husband get them out, since I put them away last. This will have the ribber and I am quite excited.

I have been on the internet for the last couple hours trying to find a suitable stand for the electric, no luck yet. I need it to be near an outlet and hoping I do not need to connect it to a computer. That would almost be impossible. I don't have one with an old Operating System, either. 

If I do need the computer, could I use the ribber on my kh950 manual knitting machine, solving the issue with that, or ould the electric be used without the computer hookup? 

My cousin is in another time zone and it is quite early for her, so I can't contact her. Her brother is at their mother's place and he knows nothing about the knitting machine, so contacting him would not get me anywhere. I am trying to figure out if the shipping would be exorbitant, or if the machine would do what I am hoping, mainly, eliminate the hand manipulated hem/cuff ribbing, and figured I would ask my mother questions, too. I am not sure when my cousin at the house will get back to me. I texted him yesterday and said I was interested. I am actually hoping it is the midsized, but I am thinking it is the bulky. 

Thanks for reading my mishmash post and any information you can provide. As you can see, I am excited. 

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Hi Cynthia,
Looking at this list... Brother did make a 950e machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20180212134012/http://www.daisyknits.com/bcompatibility.htm
I'll bet the manual for the 950i would be useful for you. 

It looks like the difference between the 950e and 950i are the disk port and cartridge port

You can search for it here - just choose Brother/KnitKning and seach for 950
https://www.knititnow.com/ManualAndDocuments/

the 950 machines are 4.5mm standard gauge machines

Shipping:
Just be sure it's packaged well - especially on the ends. The delivery folks tend to drop them on the ends and cause damage.

Electric
No, you DON'T need a computer to use this machine.  It looks like this machine uses Mylars for patterning.  I'm not experienced with mylar machines, but it's my understanding that the machine will "read" the mylar digitally as opposed to a punchcard machine that "reads" the punchcard manually.

RIBBER:
You will LOVE having a ribber!

I hope this helps. I've never been a machine dealer and my knowledge of the older machines is limited.

C Q
Cynthia Quill

3 years ago

My cousin sent me some photos of what is at his mother's house. He is going to send more as comes upon the items, but I want to make sure the shipping costs will justify this. 

So far he has found these:

Model KG-93 G-Carriage
Elna K33A
Model KRC-900E Colour Changer  
Model KHC-820A Colour Changer
***Singer DL1000 Electric Linker

My other cousin, his sister, said there is a ribber with an electric brother knitting machine. 

He said that he found a stand that was shipped to his mother, but it doesn't look like it was ever opened. 

He is going to send me more photos as he finds things. I did not feel right posting his photos here, so I wrote what was in the boxes. The items inside looked good and clean.

We are going to just pay the shipping. 

***Edited to add the Singer DL 1000 Electric Linker

J L
Julie Lyons

3 years ago
If I may make a suggestion…. I’ve worked with a super knitting machine repair person, and he has made many comments to me about how shipping can damage machines. Shippers do NOT handle them as fragile equipment no matter how well they are marked as such. He highly recommends a box be built for all equipment being shipped. The box should be either light-weight wood or extremely heavy cardboard. The extra cost is worth it. This is just my two cents.
C Q
Cynthia Quill

3 years ago
I found out the model number of the knitting machine. It is the KH 940E. It is most likely in very good condition. Her mother was an avid machine knitter before she could no longer do it and kept good care. I have not seen a picture of it or the ribber yet. They are still sorting. I did see the garter carriage and it looks in excellent condition.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC