J F
Jill Foley

3 years ago
I recently purchased a (what I thought to be) simple vest pattern with cables.  So, I'll try to verbalize my confusion.
By the way....I do have KIN's "Hand Knit to Machine Knit - Stitch Symbols Unraveled" - which has been fantastic as I am not a Hand Knitter.
I believe I can use the ribber to achieve the cables and decorative columns - but just checking with all you experienced knitters.  I've included pictures for reference.
So column 1 and 2 I think is 1K 1P (one ribber,1 main bed), 3rd column is M1 every other row just like MK, column 4 K2tog starts the diagonal slant to the stitches (got it).
What I don't understand are the "broken" columns, like column 9 and 10.  Is it just alternating knit and purl stitches?  i.e if on the ribber - move to main bed and vice versa???
The mix of blank boxes and the ones with the line are confusing because of the "Key" . Thanks for any insight. I'll include 2 pics.....one of the chart, and a pic of the finished knit.
hk-chart_LI.jpg  neck-yoke.jpg 
D K
Dayana Knits

3 years ago
The cables are flanked by double moss stitch (every other row you knit the purls and purl the knits). That is what you see in the 'broken columns'. Personally, I think this chart is not appropriate for the machine. To accomplish this look you would indeed have to transfer the stitches from the knitter to the ribber and vice versa, very often. Furthermore, each stitch is going to be at a different place in double moss stitch (i.e. one column might be knitting, another purling, and still another cabling) so it really will be challenging to have every stitch in the right place, for so many rows. Finally, even before the cabling I see that you have a moss stitch of some sort, so you will be transferring stitches from knitter to ribber for every other row of the fronts. However, if you have the saintly patience for it, it can indeed be done! ðŸ˜±

As an example, here is column 9 from Row 28-34. Adjacent stitches will be exactly opposite (unless there is a cable series). It's a lot of transferring:

28: knitter (K)

29: ribber (R)

30: R

31: K

32: K

33: R

34: R

etc.

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
I agree with @Dayana Krawchuk 

I'm seeing the same thing ... AND
The increases are worked 2 stitches from the edge, but the corresponding decreases are moving diagonally ... which means a whole lot of stitch transfers.

So you'll be reforming purl stitches, crossing cables AND shifting large groups of stitches at the same time. ðŸ˜£
J F
Jill Foley

3 years ago
Thank-you....!   So, not so easy to do.....haha....Looks can be SO deceiving. Darn!  I really liked the finished look!!!!!!🙄
BTW...I did/do know what a moss stitch is, I guess I've never seen it on a chart!
Thanks again.
D K
Dayana Knits

3 years ago

Moss stitch has other names too, it's hard to keep track! Rice stitch, too, I think? Basically, you are creating little bumps by switching a knit to a purl and vice versa. It may not be for the machine, but if you ever want to start hand knitting, it's really a beautiful stitch that creates a flat, almost woven, fabric.

D K
Dayana Knits

3 years ago
That's true Sue, @knititnow, I didn't even think of the decreases happening in the middle of the fabric! ðŸ˜¬
S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
@Jill Foley
I created a video about Seed Stitch and Moss Stitch for the machine.  
I cheated and used the garter carriage 😊, but the video demonstrates hand manipulating stitches to create Seed and Moss stitch

https://www.knititnow.com/learn/tutorial/1028/moss-seed-stitch-on-the-machine
J F
Jill Foley

3 years ago
Thanks Sue.  Funny thing....I have a Gcarriage (95)- I used it a whole lot when I first got it, but its been sitting in the box now (I'm embarrassed to say) for years!  Now that I understand the chart - thanks to both of you- I charted it in DAK (8).  I may give it a try - I'm retired and with covid restrictions - what else do I have to do!!!!! lol
By the way, in your little charts in your video - you fill in all the squares with "-" or "|", and that's what I was looking for.  The " "  and "-" (blanks and lines) basically meaning the same thing (in the key) just didn't make sense to me.....I get it now.  
Thanks again.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC