j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
I just finished knitting a sweater with some stripes detail and was very pleased with myself until I went to sew up the seams and find that the shoulders are too naroow and the neck is waay too small. I cannot figure out how this happened (🙁.
 I had blocked it and  dutifully removed all my lifelines that I use religiously.
Soooo...now I need to rip back some of the front and back and modify the pattern to reknit the top.  But ...has anyone any tips about how to pick up stitches about 4 inches down so that I dont end up with a complete mess. If I could rip down to the last stripe I would know where I am in the pattern.
Its a long shot but maybe someone has some magic idea.
Thanks
Josephine
L K
L Kresge

3 years ago
It's not necessarily perfect, but put a lifeline back in.  I'm assuming it is stockinette.  Thread a tapestry needle with your lifeline and pick up every other vertical thread.  This will run the line through each stitch.  I find it easier to start in the middle somewhere and then work back to the other side.  On occasion you may find that you jumped a row, but it's better than risking a run.  Hope this helps.
J B
Jenny M Benson

3 years ago
This is what I do when I need to unravel more a big chunk (which is always better done with the knittng off the needles).  I unravel quickly back to about 3 rows above where I want to pick up, rewinding the yarn as I go.  I then go back to the machine and start pulling back the next row 1 stitch at a time and rehanging the piece on the needles one at a time, but I don't fuss about picking up the exposed loop, if it's not easy to get the transfer tool into it I put the tool into the stitch in the row below.  When all the stitches are re-hung I pull back the last couple of rows to the point where I need to start knitting again.  Doing it this way I can almost guarantee not to lose a stitch.

(Doesn't really work for lace!!!)

Jenny
Wrexham UK
j d
josephine donohoe

3 years ago
Great help folks...I have used one technique onthe back of the jumper and the other on the front and will let you know which works best. Thanks so much for galloping to my assistance!
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC