M S
Marja Slui

3 years ago

Hi,

Currently I'm knitting the rose cardigan. I'm looking through the pattern whilst the GC is doing its thing. 

I don't understand how I'm supposed to do the v neck bands? The pattern tells me to:

Pick up appr. 166 stitches (I get this)
With one shoulder (here begins the confusion) seamed and right side facing, pick up neckband. 

Why not two shoulders seamed? Do I knit this in parts?

cardigan neckband.png 
The red line could be knitted in 2 parts and seamed at the neck I suppose, how will I knit the 'corners' where the Vneck ends?

Do I decrease the stitchdial when knitting towards the folding row of the band? Folding row and then increase the stitchdial towards the other side of the band?

Or do I miss something? I've been ploughing through the videos, but I can't find a video that lits my lightbulb.

Hope someone can help me?

A confused, experienced beginner machine knitter, Marja 

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
It's not you .. it's me ... I'm sorry .. there is a mistake in the pattern.  I'll get it fixed.

Yes, you should join both shoulders, then finish the band with your preferred method.  You probably won't have enough needles to knit it in one piece.
M S
Marja Slui

3 years ago

Oh thank you Sue!

how will I knit the 'corners' where the Vneck ends? Do I have to do something special to give ease in the band to make the corner?

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
Are you planning to knit by hand or machine?
Ribbing or a band?
Vertical or horizontal?
M S
Marja Slui

3 years ago

The original pattern askes for a garterstitch band. I include a picture of the original pattern:
vest arnemuiden.jpg 

The round neck is being knit and then the garterbands are being picked up and knit separately.
How can i achieve a garterstitch band with the vneck. I'm using the garter carriage.
I don't like round necks, thast why I converted it to a v neck with the Rose cardigan.

Or am I aiming for something unreachable?

S J
Sue Jalowiec

3 years ago
If you pick up and knit the band as in the photo with the g-carriage, you'll have to knit it in pieces.

1. do you have enough needles to go from hem to shoulder?
2. How deep is the V?  if it's a really deep v - you might get away with not shaping the "corner" of the V
3. If the V is higher you could knit the button/buttonhole edge of the sweater separate from the V edge and have a seam at the V - you'd have to do a little shaping ...

Another option is to knit the band long and skinny and attach it to the sweater. 

v-neck.jpg 
M S
Marja Slui

3 years ago
Hi Sue, 
These are the measurements of the Rose cardigan pattern for me. Hope it is allowed to show the screenshot here.... Screenshot_20210228-204522_Drive.jpgThe v neck is 24 cm deep. Could I manage that without shaping the 'corner' of the end of the v? 
Otherwise I'm going to do it by handknitting.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC