K F
Kathleen Fraser

2 years ago
Hi,
I was recently given some lovely pink fine cotton yarn.  It should knit up great on my standard machine, but does not.  The carriage struggles to move and I have the tension set on 10.  The mast tension is 1.  I realize the problem is partly due to the yarn’s lack of stretch.  Does anyone have some advice?

Thanks,
Kathleen
P D
Phyllis K Day

2 years ago
Hi  Kathleen;

When you knit at 10, is it a proper sized stich? Or tight? Or loose? Maybe try using every other needle at a lower tension rather than every needle. How many yards per pound on  this cotton? It's true that cotton doesn't stretch, but it should still knit nicely. I knit with cotton a lot, and linen also. Let us know how it's going.

Phyllis
K F
Kathleen Fraser

2 years ago
Hi Phyllis,
The stitch looks good.  I recently tried waxing the yarn and it seems to be working better.  I think it is just yarn that has been stored for some time.  I don’t know much else about it, but it looks to be about a 2 so it should knit up okay on the standard gauge.  I did try it on my Chunky machine (I don’t have a mid-gauge), but it still struggles to knit.
I am thinking about throwing it all in a lingerie bag and washing it, but am afraid I might end up with a huge mess, or I can just keep waxing.  Any thoughts about that?
P D
Phyllis K Day

2 years ago
Hmmm, I'd be afraid to wash it in the machine, even cotton will "bloom" some when machine washed, unless it's a tight mercerized kind. Maybe by hand? If waxing is working, I'd stick with that. I've never waxed so if you say it's working, go for it. If it is "lace weight," you might want to try two strands, or even three on the bulky. But indeed, if it's gotten some dust and what-not in it, it can be a challenge. I had a slubby yarn like that, it was tough to knit too. When the piece was finished, I was shocked how much dirt came out.
S P
Sheri Plowman

2 years ago
Hi Kathleen -  I have also been struggling with Cotton yarn (4).  Mine is 100% and just seems to drag the carriage.  I have tried to more up to the bulky machine, but still finds that it struggles on T10, but at least it works.  I'm going to try the wax to see if that helps.  I find the cotton works best on my Addi Kingsize, but it just goes round and round.

KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC