R M
Rachel McGrath

2 years ago
I've watched the videos on neckline shaping. I'm very confused with the video entitled "Neckline Shaping Perfection." I'm also using the "Practice Necklines" worksheet to follow along on my SK280. In the video, I don't see any binding off. All I see is short rows. But I'm failing to make the correlation between BOs and short rows.

For instance, my practice pattern says work armhole and neckline shaping at the same time. 

Instructions are as follows: 
Row 39:  "Place in hold needles LEFT 45-1, RIGHT 1-8"

I did that.

The neck/shoulder shaping chart also says for row 39 to remove 16 stitches in the center. How can I BO and do the hold? 

My carriage is currently on the left. I used the thread from the carriage to bind off the center. But unless I break off the yarn, the BO will not be complete.   
tempImageuPlmzm.jpg 
I feel like I have too much going on. I'm not quite understanding the instructions. Would you clarify and/or tell me what I've done wrong?
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
Hi Rachel,
You aren't doing anything wrong.  I always say that shaping necklines (and adding bands) is an art, not a science.

Most knitters have developed their own logic for shaping necklines.  I'm sorry if the instruction in the video isn't clear.

Let's consider an overview
  1. Carriage on the right.
  2. Put all the needles left of 0 PLUS the instructed needles into hold LEFT 45-1, RIGHT 1-8
    another way of looking at this is you are putting the center 16 needles in hold PLUS all of the left side needles in hold
  3. Work the neckline shaping on the right and finish the right side
  4. Keeping those center needles in hold, repeat the shaping on the left

Both sides are done, but the center stitches are still there.

With me so far?

Keeping those stitches in hold can be a problem.  
1. Running the carriage back and forth across those needles can wear/dirty the strands making a mess
2. If you are doing a deep round neck, they can make it hard to work the shaping on the sides

Choices:

1. Before you start any shaping, put the center stitches on waste yarn (just manually knit them with scrap yarn)
OR
2. Bind them off.  You can use a separate strand of yarn and bind them off

OR
3. Work the left side first

Looking at your photo your yarn is in position to start shaping the left side.
Put the right side needles in hold and follow the pattern, shaping the left neck edge first
Then go back and knit the right side.

I hope this helps, please let me know.  

As with everything MKing, there are lots of ways of doing things.  That's why practice is so important, especially something complicated like this.

R M
Rachel McGrath

2 years ago
This is VERY helpful! Thank you.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC