L T
Laura Taalman

2 years ago
Hello,

I have some lower back problems and the action of pushing the carriage can set off some bad episodes if things aren't running smoothly. Do you have any tips for advanced machine maintenance and also actual knitting technique to make the carriage move without catching or unnecessary effort? 

More details that may or may not be helpful:  I'm working with a Brother bulky KH260 with ribber. I think I get the basics of cleaning and lubricating the machine and my carriages move pretty smoothly on both beds when no yarn is loaded. But when I'm working with both the knitter and the ribber, it can be hard to move the carriage -- especially with 1x1 rib and when I'm using the color changer or punch cards. Pushing can be difficult overall and also maybe more difficult on one side of the work or other other, or in certain sections of the knitting. My work also sometimes catches and I have to take the carriage and everything off and start all over, so I think I might have bad technique. I'm a beginner! Sometimes I feel like my new ribber that I am just learning to use is too far away from the knitter but I've followed a bunch of videos and recommendations from the seller and it seems to be correct (needle pusher does not fall through, for example). So maybe it's my yarn tension, or weights, or...?

I'm willing to invest the time and practice to get this thing moving like butter so I can stop throwing out my back!! But I'm not sure exactly what to work on, especially regarding the knitting itself and maybe how the ribber is adjusted. Any pointers would be welcome.
S J
Sue Jalowiec

2 years ago
HI Laura!
I'm sorry to hear about your back issues.  It doesn't sound like the issue is maintenance.

I have to say that the bulky machines are a lot harder to use physically.  They are heavier and because they use heavier yarns, it takes more force to form the stitches. Using the ribber only doubles this.

Have you tried standing when knitting?  I find it easier on my back to be able use my legs and torso instead of just my arms and shoulders.

You said:
" Pushing can be difficult overall and also maybe more difficult on one side of the work or other other, or in certain sections of the knitting"

• Many machines will knit more tightly on one side than the other ... as the knitting hangs you'll notice one side being shorter than the other.  You aren't doing anything wrong that is normal for some machines. (Be sure to take the carriage past the edge the same distance on both sides as you knit)
  • Knit with an even rhythm - take it slow... let the machine manipulate the needles, hooks, latches and yarn.  Knitting too fast can cause problems
  • If you are struggling, make sure the knitting is weighted evenly ... not just on the edges. You don't need a lot of weight, but think about how the stitches are formed.  As the needle is pulled back to form a stitch, the previous stitch needs to get out of the way, weight will accomplish this

NOTE about the ribber.  If you are knitting full needle rib (or any variation where all needles are in work) PLEASE use a finer yarn than you would use for 1x1 ribbing or on the main bed only.

The needles of your machine are 9mm apart.  But in full needle rib, you are doubling the number of needles in the same space ... making the space between the needles 4.5mm   If the yarn is too thick it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to push the carriage.

Hope this helps.
Sue

"My work also sometimes catches and I have to take the carriage and everything off and start all over, so I think I might have bad technique."

A number of things can cause the machine to jam.  As you get more experienced, it will happen less and less.  
  • Knitting too fast
  • Knots in the yarn
  • Tangles preventing the yarn from passing thru the tensioner and making a few stitches really tight. On the next row, these mis-formed stitches can jam
  • Not enough weigh, too much weigh or uneven weight

Are you having issues with a specific technique?  Can you pin down when this happens?
L T
Laura Taalman

2 years ago
Wow that is all such good advice and help, thank you so much!!

I will work on addressing all of these points. The problem is the worst when I'm doing full rib with slipped stitches on both beds so I can do two-sided color work so.... yeah. That's a lot of yarn in there at once. Probably the most yarn I could get in there at one time!! Now that I think about it, that was pretty crazy and the yarn I am using is not thin enough for all that.

Today I'll switch to a lighter yarn and see how that goes. Maybe I'll also see if I can get the colorwork I'm after in 1x1 rib instead of full needle rib. I prefer the feel of the 1x1 rib anyway!

I also think I could do a better job with the weights - I've been doing quick test strips with 7-wires, and I think switching to always using the cast-on ribber comb will give me more consistent weight. I also never thought about *too much* weight, but with these small strips that could actually be an issue.

Finally, I saw the table that you listed elsewhere on this site (http://kin.knititnow.com/2018/01/10/best-machine-knitting-table-ever/) and noticed that it can be used in standing position, so I ordered one!!  My back is out today after too much machine knitting experimentation yesterday, but I'm determined to find a way to make this work. Your help is so appreciated!!!

Laura
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC